Quiet return pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jsoong

Aquarium Advice Addict
Over the weekend, my Hydor pump impeller broke, and I can't find any replacement. I have to get an emergency replacement. I settled on the Rio Hyperflow 14HF.

The pump works well, but there is an annoying hum. I am wondering if I should return it for something quieter. Can someone recommend a quiet return pump. I need around 700 gph at 3-4'. Locally, I can get the Quiet one (3000 or 4000), or pay the big bucks & get a Mag 9.5.

Any recommendations?

Is it sitting on the bare bottom and that's where the hum is from?

I have the same problem w/ my latest 9.5 though i have it sitting on the bare bottom of the glass sump right now. Trying to figure what I could put under it that won't fall apart and flow thru the tank.

Now my other 9.5 is relatively quiet. The fans from the lights are louder

I have it raised on a UGF plate. The pump itself sits on a plate with rubber dampers, so i don't think it is transmitted noise. <I suspended the pump in the sump and the hum is still there ....>

Trying to figure what I could put under it that won't fall apart and flow thru the tank.
A neoprene mouse pad will work and won't fall apart.

I used to use a Quiet One 3000 on my 75 setup and it was very quiet. Never had any problems with it.

I use a mag 12 and a mag 9.5 and I think they are very quiet. I used to use the Rio 14HF and always thought it was too noisy.

A neoprene mouse pad will work and won't fall apart.

I used to use a Quiet One 3000 on my 75 setup and it was very quiet. Never had any problems with it.

Hey thanx, have tons of those. I've actually had them in my hands several time then had second thoughts.

I can't recommend eheim enough, either the 1260 or 1262 depending on how much flow you want. My 1262 has been perfect and it is very quiet too.

The HF is setting up a resonance hum in the basement directely below the tank .... it is going back!

I'll look at the Quiet one or the Eheim.

Back
Top Bottom