Quirky Awesome Aquarium Creatures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Random Fishy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Anyone know an awesome small and easy to care for aquarium creature that just looks cool in your tank? I just want something interesting to look at in my tank.(Examples that I might consider and currently researching) : crayfish, and crabs. I know it's not much but it's hard to find cool and easy care level creatures. Any ideas?

African dwarf frogs or African clawed frogs are neat. If your tank is big enough a brackish mudskipper tank would be really cool too. Also, dwarf puffers are awesome fish to own in nano tanks.

A really neat brackish water fish is the four eyed fish. If you want an amphibian, I really like axolotls.

An axolotl, saw one at my local fish store and looked sooo awesome! Everyone should defiantly look them. Kinda pricey (40$) but man does it look sweet.

I personally enjoy fiddler crabs. Fairly inexpensive (2-5 dollars where I live) and are awesome! They climb anything so you need a lid but it's cool to see them being held up by a leaf the size of a blaze of grass! Males have one large claw too so it's interesting to see them crawl. They just need a place above water. I just set my little breeder box in and he climbed a fake blade of large grass right up to it.

They are also great scavengers and can help you keep your tank clean!

Thanks for the suggestions guys and I should've added this before but I need freshwater animals. I can't switch to brackish because most of my current fish would die. So any animals that are freshwater? I know that axolotls are freshwater. Fiddlers are brackish.

I like loaches. I have a Yoyo now and had a clown loach which was awesome..... So a loach.

African dwarf frogs are freshwater, fully aquatic animals. I have 2 in my 5g betta tank at work, and they are too funny. Everyone who comes in gets a kick out of them. Trash and Toter are the showstoppers of that little tank, lol.
They prefer a shallower tank, its a lot o work for them to swim to the top to take a breath, and they need a good diet. They eat bloodworms, brine shrimp, chopped up earthworms, baby fry, and there is frog pellets you can give them too. If you have them in a community tank, you just have to make sure they are getting food.....they are nearly blind, so you have to get the food to them. A lot of people train them to eat from thier hands or in a specific spot. I trained mine to come to the front corner of the tank where i put a little glass bowl. I just put the food in the bowl, and they come pig out. Since there is only a betta in there, there is not much worry they will miss out on a meal. The betta pretty well steers clear of them at feeding time, they have latched onto his fins on accident a few times and got a ride around the tank, lol.

I had a frog once. Put him in the tank and two hrs later he was Mia

African dwarf frogs are freshwater, fully aquatic animals. I have 2 in my 5g betta tank at work, and they are too funny. Everyone who comes in gets a kick out of them. Trash and Toter are the showstoppers of that little tank, lol.
They prefer a shallower tank, its a lot o work for them to swim to the top to take a breath, and they need a good diet. They eat bloodworms, brine shrimp, chopped up earthworms, baby fry, and there is frog pellets you can give them too. If you have them in a community tank, you just have to make sure they are getting food.....they are nearly blind, so you have to get the food to them. A lot of people train them to eat from thier hands or in a specific spot. I trained mine to come to the front corner of the tank where i put a little glass bowl. I just put the food in the bowl, and they come pig out. Since there is only a betta in there, there is not much worry they will miss out on a meal. The betta pretty well steers clear of them at feeding time, they have latched onto his fins on accident a few times and got a ride around the tank, lol.

Ooooohhh I had one before. He was a cool little guy but a pain to give food to. He has passed away but he was real funny. :) thanks for the suggestion.

Elephant nose would be cool in a large tank. Dwarf puffers are really the only nano fish i can think of.

Back
Top Bottom