RabiedRoosters' 370 litre planted tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RabiedRooster

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello i have recently moved and also recently purchased a rather large and rather square tank. It is 28" cubed, 360 litre, 70 uk gallons, 95 US gallons.

I am going to do quite an unusual planted tank with a large tree made from mopani wood in one corner with branches that have plants growing on them, back lit by a marina underwater LED. Around this will be an assortment of plants.

Equipment:

Filter: EITHER Fluval FX5 or something equivalent (help needed deciding)
Lighting: DUAL growbeam 500 LED's
Substrate: Eco Complete covered in sand (colour undecided)
Plants: Open to suggestion.
CO2: Yes

Stocking: From my current tank-4 Harlequin Rasbora, 4 Black Phantom tetra(School to be increased to 8-10), 5 Bosemani Rainbow, 2 Kuhli loach, 1 Bamboo Shrimp, 3 julii cory.

What I want in addition : Melanotaenia herbertaxelrodi x 5, Red Rainbow x 5, 3 Panda cory, Pair Kribs. Can also fit more and open to suggestion.

What i need help on at the moment is deciding the filter, either FX5, the Rena XP4 or something else. Your opinions on my lighting choice and my stocking.

I will be cleaning and adding bits like substrate and mopani wood hopefully this wk end. Access to fish and equipment is basically unlimited as i work in a LFS and do the stock ordering, therefore can get almost anything.

Help will be much appreciated!

Thanks!

RabiedRooster

Attachments

• IMAG0247.jpg
    IMAG0247.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 135
  • IMAG0248.jpg
    IMAG0248.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 120
Cube tanks are cool, I have a smaller one (64 liters). It has that whole 3D thing going on, and is fun to plant because you can really have up to 3 dominant viewing side to play with. My only suggestion is for the filter --- I really like Eheim canister filters; I have tried a bunch of different brands and I am seriously impressed with the one I bought recently. Once up and running for a few days, it is DEAD SILENT. And their customer service is fabulous (I wrote an email to them w/ some relatively basic questions, and they responded by asking for my phone number and calling me !)

Oh, and I am seriously going to want to see that mopani wood tree of yours!

Agreed the eheim are quality, the only problem is the price for ones rated high enough, over £200. I bought the tank for £125 which was a steal. Budget excluding tank cost is £500. Yeah the tree was an idea I came up with while laying in bed thinking of ideas, the best time to think imo. Thinking of having rhizome plants growing on the branches.

First Job; Cleaning. The previous owner painted two sides with white paint. So far using white spirit and a blunt scraper so as not to scratch the glass. Its not going very well as the paint is thick and white spirit not having much of an effect. Any tips for removing this paint?

RR

Attachments

• IMAG0249.jpg
    IMAG0249.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 108
I have been busy today! Cleaned all the paint off with a strong paint stripper. I have also been shopping! Bought an FX5, Eco Complete and some Carib sea super naturals black sand. Its all starting to come together now. Excited :dance:

RR

Attachments

• IMAG0250.jpg
    IMAG0250.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 113
  • IMAG0251.jpg
    IMAG0251.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 114
I have been busy today! Cleaned all the paint off with a strong paint stripper. I have also been shopping! Bought an FX5, Eco Complete and some Carib sea super naturals black sand. Its all starting to come together now. Excited :dance:

RR

Cool! Congrats on your new equipment, you will be cycling soon!:)

I know cool eh. I have a lot of mature media to add to my filter so cycling shouldn't take too long thank goodness. Have yet to buy the LED lighting, the mopani,CO2 bits and the plants. I would like advice as to what plants would be good for this. Having rhizome and moss on the tree branches but obv want nice plants for the substrate level. Any suggestions?

RabiedRooster said:
I know cool eh. I have a lot of mature media to add to my filter so cycling shouldn't take too long thank goodness. Have yet to buy the LED lighting, the mopani,CO2 bits and the plants. I would like advice as to what plants would be good for this. Having rhizome and moss on the tree branches but obv want nice plants for the substrate level. Any suggestions?

That is great that you already have some mature media, cycling will be a breeze! I know pretty much nothing about plants, but I like carpeting plants. They are my favorite! :)

Small setback. After thoroughly cleaning the glass i have found multiple small scratches on the inside which need to be buffed out. Any tips on how tips accomplish this ?

Hello! update: I spent a ridiculous amount today on my Tmc aquaray dual grobeams. Also bought some overpriced mopani, £15 a piece! First stage of the tree stuck together with silicon and drying. Have just the branches to source and stick on. Btw the LEDs are so bright! Its coming on now yay!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111011_200829.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111011_200829.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 71
  • ForumRunner_20111011_200903.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111011_200903.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 76
Hello! update: I spent a ridiculous amount today on my Tmc aquaray dual grobeams. Also bought some overpriced mopani, £15 a piece! First stage of the tree stuck together with silicon and drying. Have just the branches to source and stick on. Btw the LEDs are so bright! Its coming on now yay!

I am liking the tree! It is going to make the tank look very natural! (y)

Well I've done a lot. Found a stand, made a tree, added a mix of Eco complete and black sand, bought some rocks. Its filled and all set up with heater, filter and lights. Have to cycle now but that should be a doddle. Next phase is picking plants. What do you think?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111016_215127.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111016_215127.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 71
  • ForumRunner_20111016_215143.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111016_215143.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 65
  • ForumRunner_20111016_215202.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111016_215202.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 76
  • ForumRunner_20111016_215622.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111016_215622.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 68
Well I've done a lot. Found a stand, made a tree, added a mix of Eco complete and black sand, bought some rocks. Its filled and all set up with heater, filter and lights. Have to cycle now but that should be a doddle. Next phase is picking plants. What do you think?
So how are you liking the fx5 so far?

The filter is great. Easy to set up and easy to start as its self priming. I really like the feature of it removing air bubbles from its system for 2 mins every day. As far as noise, so far it has a lot of micro bubble going into it from my tank due to it being a new setup so its quite loud but i cant hear the pump etc working so i guess when the bubbles have gone it will be quiet.

A few things. I have added all the fish from my now empty tank into this one. Have been running for 4 days with fish in cycle and old media in the tank. A=0 Ni=0 Na=~10. Good news so far i guess there will be no (or a very small) cycle due to the old media, I will remove this in about a months time when my new filter has matured.

Current stock is: 5 Bosemani Rainbow, 4 BP tetra, 4 Harlequins, 3 Julii Cory, 2 Kuhli Loaches, Bamboo Shrimp and some MTS around. they are all acting like completely different fish, dancing with each other etc I'm very happy and so are they by the looks of it.

Low light Plants from my old tank: Microsporum (on tree), Crypts, Sword of some kind

I have slightly changed my stocking too; in addition to whats already in there: 2 Red Rainbow, 2 Blue Rainbow, 2 Herbertaxelrodi Rainbow , 3 Panda cories, 4 BP tetra, 2 Peacock gobies and DUN DUN DUN I'm contemplating Discus JUST because i ordered some in for the store and now i want them! :whistle:

The FX5 is just AMAZING, super quiet and water changing is a doddle with the outlet valve at the bottom. I'm impressed to say the least.

The water has gone brown due to the new wood releasing tannins but i added some Eheim Karbon to the filter just now so that should sort that and my bacterial bloom is just about over. So Far So Good.

To do: Decide on Plants, Buy overpriced CO2 system (jbl proflora u401), buy fish and add, maybe buy one more LED light strip.

EVEN though i am doing this thread to document my tank for myself i would really LOVE to hear any comments and opinions on my build so PLEASE don't be shy!

Much love

RR

Attachments

• IMAG0265.jpg
    IMAG0265.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMAG0261.jpg
    IMAG0261.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 75
Hello long time no post. I have been cycling my tank with fish from my old tank. Had a very small ammo spike :facepalm: but dealt with it appropriately, fortunately all levels are good to go. I couldn't be more pleased about how it is turning out. I have added 1 Anubia & 1 Bolbitis all to the tree, 1 Bacopa in the corner and some Eleocharis Parvula. The Bacopa is doing great the hair grass is browning at the tips but new shoots are growing so im guessing its a new tank 'melt'. I am dosing with Excel until i get my CO2 system which seems to be doing the trick. (y)

I have also put my old hood over the top middle in conjunction to my LED's. The light is just a 15w T8 and does little but mood lighting after dark BUT i will be adding another LED strip into this hood in the future.

Fish wise i have now got: 5 Bosemani Rainbow, 4 Black Phantom tetra, 4 Harlequins, 3 Julii Cory, 4 Kuhli Loaches, Bamboo Shrimp, some Malayan Trumpets, 2 Red Rainbow, 2 Blue Rainbow, 2 Herbertaxelrodi Rainbow , 3 Panda cories.

To add: 6 Hatchets, 10 Emperor tetra, 3-4 Yellow rabbit snails and large shrimps. MORE plants of some kind.

I am really please with how its all going! And what a surprise i just got when i realized that over night the anubia has sent out a FLOWER SHOOT! Woo i must be doing something right.:dance:

:thanks:

RR

Attachments

• IMAG0267.jpg
    IMAG0267.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 66
  • IMAG0270.jpg
    IMAG0270.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 71
  • IMAG0273.jpg
    IMAG0273.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMAG0276.jpg
    IMAG0276.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 68
New tank BLUES

I just bought a 30gal (112L) tank. Filled it full of water, rocks and plants, it looks real nice. Then I went to the pet store with the kids to purchase some fish. I live in Germany so they won’t sell you fish unless you bring in a water sample. The guy takes the water sample and drips some of this and some of that into the water. It turns Red and the he says “No fish for You!!” Are you kidding me what do I need to do now? Add this algae growing substance and then come back in two weeks. Go back to the pet shop with the kids and water again, to buy some fish. Same thing, RED water, “No fish for You!!” At this point I’m still trying to determine what the problem is. I think it’s a pH issue but I don’t know. The guy only speaks a little English and my kids just want some fish. So I’m being told to wait 6-8 weeks before the water is going to possibly be ready for fish. :banghead:
So… here’s my question, What can I do to the water to get it ready for fish? :thanks: Rob

Back
Top Bottom