rainbow shark (Epalzeorhynchos frenatum) feeding question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbell831

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Today I brought home a rainbow shark (Epalzeorhynchos frenatum). He's in a 20 gallon tank with 2 cory cats, 4 platys, 1 dalmation molly, 2 guppies, and 1 tetra. He's doing great and has established his territory in a cave we provided. I need advice on what and when to feed him. The rest of my fish eat tropical fish flakes, and I have sinking shrimp pellets along with freeze dried shrimp for treats. Is there a certain time or amount my rainbow shark should be eating? He hid in his cave when I fed the rest of my fish today, and he didn't seem to come out to eat. He's about 2.5 inches long. Thanks for any advice!

You may want to return him. They hit 6" and need 50g or larger.

You've got quite a mix of fish. You may want to rethink your stocking plan.

Mollies usually need 30g or larger IME

Cories should be in groups.
Tetras need groups
What exact species of Cory and Tetra do you have ??

For now let him settle in and try feeding him after lights out. Offer sinking shrimp pellets or frozen bloodworms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First off-I agree with the sentiments above. Also, my shark bullied(and would have eventually killed) every fish in the tank smaller than himself as he grew. That's common for rainbows. They need the 48"tank length because they are active swimmers and lids on the tank because they are known jumpers.

A far as feeding goes they are nocturnal scavengers, mine loved any veggies that I clipped in there for my pleco and seemed to enjoy blanched romaine the most. He also loved the frozen blood worms I was feeding to the angels. Eventually mine would come out whenever I was feeding but he was generally shy when the lights were on.

Ps-mine hit very close to 6 inches, but he was about 4 inches within a couple months

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree with enrgizerbunny I had to return my red tailed shark because he was an a**hole and stressed my other fish almost to death. I'd return it for another one

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I feed my Rainbow shark at night just before I go to bed. I drop in an algae wafer. He/she loves them. They will come out more at night and hid more during the day.

Back
Top Bottom