Rainbow Shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well...educate me on rainbow sharks. I want to know everything.

They are aggressive and I think its better to keep it as the only bottom dweller in your tank.

After your google the shark, could you tell me more about them? Its been a while since the last time I've researched this fish.

Keep one per tank, I think 55gal is a good minimum. I've had some issues pairing them with fish like bettas and gouramis, so use caution if you're trying that mix. They are omnivores and favor frozen foods like bloodworms and brineshrimp, along with veggies like blanched shelled peas and zucchini, but they will eat just about anything. They are territorial, so adding them to a tank last is best, or you can always rearrange the tank when adding new fish to break down territories.

I've had my rainbow shark since he was a baby, about 1 inch long. He's over 4.5 inches long now and still growing. Rainbow Sharks get a bad wrap because supposedly they are "aggressive." Red Tail Sharks are the aggressive species. While Rainbow's are somewhat protective of their territory, it hasn't been my experience to see him be aggressive toward his tankmates. Sive is right about a larger tank, they like to swim and are always on the move. They will clean your tank of uneaten food too which is a plus. Can be kept with tetras, barbs, danios, platys...you name it. But only keep one bottom dweller unless you have a big tank because they do OWN their territory. hope this helps. oh and +1 to pretty much everything Siva said. ^

]Rainbow Sharks get a bad wrap because supposedly they are "aggressive." Red Tail Sharks are the aggressive species. While Rainbow's are somewhat protective of their territory, it hasn't been my experience to see him be aggressive toward his tankmates.

Both species are aggressive. You're lucky to get a mellow rainbow shark.
All territorial fish are aggressive.

I disagree. I have many fish that are territorial that are not aggressive.

Well..lots.. ;) My rainbow shark is territorial but not aggresive to most species. The same can be said for others I keep such as cichlids, gouramis, and bettas.

I don't know anything about gouramis or bettas.

Many cichilids by nature are suppose to be aggressive. The all-male (or all-female) aggregations of excessive numbers of one-gender fish in an area too small for territories to be established are quite frankly IMHO horrible tanks which might as well have pickled fish in them. Those fish can show none of their unique behaviors and life styles, nor can they reproduce.

"Aggression" can mean different things for everyone.

Whatever you are referring to, it isn't my tanks. :)

I'm going by the textbook definitions here. To say every fish that is territorial is also aggresive is just not accurate. A fish that will chase another out of it's designated area is not always going to be a fish that will bite or harm another fish.

Rainbow sharks-
Tank Minimum: 55 gallons
Bottom Dweller. Not as aggressive as it's cousin, the Red-Tailed Shark. IMO they are fine with fish that are fast and won't bother them. So I have heard...

I'm going by the textbook definitions here. To say every fish that is territorial is also aggresive is just not accurate. A fish that will chase another out of it's designated area is not always going to be a fish that will bite or harm another fish.

Ah ok that is what I mean by aggression. Aggression to me is chasing/harming another fish. Harm may not necessarily mean biting, but it can inflict stress to peaceful fish by chasing them away. If the other fish doesn't swim away from the shark, then there could be a fight coming up. There are ways to minimize aggression, but a fish that is territorial will always want their space and act on aggression to keep its space. There are territorial fish that are friendly, but most of them are known for what I've described above. Maybe there is a term for what I'm describing.

I want the red tail shark. Maybe it can survive with my tiny avocado puffer.

I keep a rainbow & a red tail in the same 100 gallon tank :eek:
I didn't know about their behavioural tendencies untimely after I got them
They'll chase each other occasionally but that's about it
Both bright red & getting bigger

My rainbow shark hit a growth spurt at about age 2 1/2. He gained 2 inches in length in a very short period of time. Concurrently, his aggression level spiked to match his new size. He killed my entire zebra danio school. I rehomed him to someone with 125 gallon tank.

It is my opinion that the rainbow requires 75 gallons as the lone shark. If there are two sharks, I would recommend twice that.

Well...educate me on rainbow sharks. I want to know everything.

As you've read by now ... RBS does have a territorial aggressive side, so I recommend a 55gal at minimum with plenty of Plants, DW, caves, logs, decor for it to establish territories.

However ...if you decide to go with a Red Tail Shark ... then I'd recommend a 75gal at minimum with more Plants, DW, caves, logs, decor for it to establish territories. They can be very territorially aggressive (politically correct for NASTY). And I find with RTS's their aggression isn't just to other similar looking bottom dwellers. An RTS can just claim the entire tank as it's territory.

Oh and they can also reach up to 6 inches long.

Back
Top Bottom