Rainbow shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Subaru

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I thought the rainbow shark will only show aggression to other sharks only.

I have one rainbow shark always chasing the other 3 gold barbs that I have, but the gold barbs always manage to swirm away really quickly and with no damage.

I also have 3 tiger barbs, but the rainbow shark never chase at them.

Is this normal?

I have recently found out more about Rainbows. First off, do you only have the one shark? Also, the Rainbow shark is quite territorial, as well as a cavedweller. If anything gets too close to their spot, they will chase it. Why it shys from your tigers, I'm not sure. But I guess my next question is, what size tank are they in?

A couple good facts to point out about Rainbows, the whole deal with whats going on, could be with how most of the freshwater 'sharks' see some other fish. These sharks, as well as barbs, are classified as carp-like fish, and a Rainbow shark would look at the barbs as other sharks, most likely, the reason he backs off on the Tigers could be simply from the Tiger Barbs more dominant nature, he sees them as too formidable an opponent, and will just focus his territorial, and aggressive behaviors at the other fish, which he knows he can dominate.

I had a red-tail that was completely docile in my tank and happily shared it's space with my corydoras. The day after I introduced a siamese algae eater the red tail began to show aggression towards it. The SAE simply being similar in shape, size, and family of fish as the red-tail was enough for it to travel throughout the tank simply to harass the SAE.

this is in a 20 gallon tank

one rainbow shark only

The rainbow shark only chase the gold barbs, but not the tiger barbs or serpae tetras.

I have a rainbow shark in my 25gal, and he ofter chases my tiger barbs, he isnt doing any physical damage so I dont really think much of it. And mine dosn't live in a cave or anything he just swims around the middle section, schooling with the tigers :? . So unless you see physical damage, I wouldn't worry too much, and make sure you provide some sort of cave for him.

Back
Top Bottom