Raising PH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nguyen27

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello
I had a 37gals tank which I keep for a while with a few cichlid in it, mbuna cichlid, I been using RO water and the PH level been around 7.7-7.8 without addition, I was wonder if it is OK to stay at this level, or should start buffering them to 8.0+, all the fishes are healthy as far as I can tell, also if I even want to buff up the PH, how do I go about doing that gradually,
Thanks

I don't see any need for you to need to up the pH. If you really want to, I'd use something natural, not pH in a bottle. Something like crushed coral or limestone works better and will raise the pH slowly and naturally. Other additives you have to keep adding to the tank and can cause pH swings. But, like I said, I don't see a need for you to up your pH.

If you want to up the ph, you can try baking soda. That would get your ph up to around 8.2. If you wanted to up the hardness, you could use epsom salt. These two are very easy to do. I am planning a 55 gallon cichlid tank and have RO water and this is what I will be doing.

With your fish list, I would leave the ph alone. Mbuna like a higher ph but really aren't that picky. But if you really want to raise it still, I agree with Fishyfanatic on the limestone or crushed coral. Stay away from the bottles if you can help it. Have you thought about a piece of Texas Holey Rock? It's a little pricey, but it's limestone and gives your Mbuna plenty of caves to hide in. Kinda killing the 2 birds thing.

I would go for something natural too, if you really want to up the pH, but IMHO, I would leave it alone. The Mbunas would be fine.

If you do choose something, go with CC or like already mentioned, the Texas Holey Rock. Baking soda is ok...but it's touchy, or so I've heard.

Once you have the formula for baking soda down for your water, it is as stable as anything to raise ph. You just have to fiddle with it the first time. Not in the tank of course. Baking soda is nothing but sodium bicarbonate, which raises ph and performs naturally as a buffer

Fishyfanatic said:
I don't see any need for you to need to up the pH. If you really want to, I'd use something natural, not pH in a bottle. Something like crushed coral or limestone works better and will raise the pH slowly and naturally. Other additives you have to keep adding to the tank and can cause pH swings. But, like I said, I don't see a need for you to up your pH.

I agree, you just said you fish are happy and healthy, why mess with that?

Back
Top Bottom