Rams and PH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all,

I reeeally want a GBR, and i saw one at the lfs today too! I asked the guy if he thought a ram would do alright in a tank with a higher PH. He said that it would probably die in anything over high 7's.

Mine is pretty high, about 8. So, do you all think it would live in my tank? Anything i can do to lower the PH easily and naturally? I know that you arent supposed to mess with the PH, but still.

Thanks!!

As you can see, my PH is high lol
First pic is high range ph, second is regular ph.

1st pic has a weird color! I cant really peg it!

Attachments

• image-2440030918.jpg
    image-2440030918.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 136
  • image-3350115638.jpg
    image-3350115638.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 145
rams do better and really need a much lower ph (6-6.5) to really thrive. i have 2 that i keep in a 45 gal.. i mix ro water with my tap to get a ph of about 6.4. some people say they can adapt to higher ph but i don't hear them saying that about other low ph fish such as discus. the ram likes a low ph and i really think that's why so many of them die. the conditions they thrive in aren't provided. they also need "fresh water" which requires frequent water changes (i change 25% every 3 days) they also like live food. black worms are something they love and all the fish in the aquarium like them too(even the shrimp). if you can't keep the water in the proper ph range and don't want to do the frequent water changes, i think you should look at a different fish. i don't think that rams are hard to keep if you are willing to give them what they need. my rams are healthy and i've had them for over a year. they are rewarding fish to keep and very personable. lots of fun. not to mention how beautiful they are. think about making the commitment and if you decide to get them i wish you the best of luck.

jpchin said:
rams do better and really need a much lower ph (6-6.5) to really thrive. i have 2 that i keep in a 45 gal.. i mix ro water with my tap to get a ph of about 6.4. some people say they can adapt to higher ph but i don't hear them saying that about other low ph fish such as discus. the ram likes a low ph and i really think that's why so many of them die. the conditions they thrive in aren't provided. they also need "fresh water" which requires frequent water changes (i change 25% every 3 days) they also like live food. black worms are something they love and all the fish in the aquarium like them too(even the shrimp). if you can't keep the water in the proper ph range and don't want to do the frequent water changes, i think you should look at a different fish. i don't think that rams are hard to keep if you are willing to give them what they need. my rams are healthy and i've had them for over a year. they are rewarding fish to keep and very personable. lots of fun. not to mention how beautiful they are. think about making the commitment and if you decide to get them i wish you the best of luck.

Ya, i would really like some, but i have heard that they are a bit of work. I have an rodi unit, so i guess i could use that?

Are bolivians easier to care for than germans? What about golds?

i myself and people on this site keep rams above 8 ph, if im not mistaken one had them breed

ill try to look for the thread

BHead707 said:
i myself and people on this site keep rams above 8 ph, if im not mistaken one had them breed

ill try to look for the thread

Youv done it!? Cool!

Oh that is great! Maybe ill try it!

Ill drip acclimate and everything! The ram at the lfs has been there for weeks, so i guess it is pretty healthy

i have 2 in my tank and all is good so far, ph around 8.2.
had one for over a month now and just got the other one. hopefully they will keep growing strong

Ok, good! It sounds like ill be going for bolivians then!!'

Thanks everyone! Keep the comments coming please!

here are my 2!
2d0gg0g.jpg

i believe they are both females i wish i could have found a male at the usual lfs i go to

does your lfs have the bolivians? if im not mistaken severum mama might have some for sale on their new list that just came out today

*edit: just looked and they do have them for sale. they can guarantee sexes though but here is the thread

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...and-invertebrates-2012-01-11-list-187550.html

BHead707 said:
here are my 2!

i believe they are both females i wish i could have found a male at the usual lfs i go to

does your lfs have the bolivians? if im not mistaken severum mama might have some for sale on their new list that just came out today

WOW! those are amazing!

Yes, my usual lfs has bolivians, but i saw judt one fish with ich in the tank next to it. I assume the filtration is universal, so im weary of buying even though no other fish had it..

I am looking into the bolivians SM has! Only thing is, shipping is higher because we are so far away

WOW! those are amazing!

Yes, my usual lfs has bolivians, but i saw judt one fish with ich in the tank next to it. I assume the filtration is universal, so im weary of buying even though no other fish had it..

I am looking into the bolivians SM has! Only thing is, shipping is higher because we are so far away

ya shipping fish is spendy business. you should ask about the filtration though at your lfs to see if there is any chance of it having ich

Bolivian rams are supposedly easier to keep than German blue rams... I haven't seen any proof or experience of that. I have two bolivian rams that just began coloring up, and they are doing really well. My tank pH is around 7.6

I have two Blue Rams, and they are doing pretty well in my tank. I've had them in my tank for 2 Months wit ha PH of 7.4 and they have survived. Although I did have another pair before that died after a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom