Rasbora espei or Five-banded barbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gouda

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I am a newbie from France starting my first aquarium, a Juwel Rio 125 (about 30 gallons) with a length of 80 cm (about 30 inches). I filled it about a month ago and last weekend, after the cycling was complete and the nitrites back to zero, I introduced my first fish, 6 kuhli loaches (yay!) My parameters are Temp = 26 C (78 F), GH=7, KH=4, NO2=0.01 mg/l, pH=7.5-8 (I am aware it is a bit high; any ideas to lower the pH are welcome!). The aquarium has a bunch of plants that grow well, a large root, and several fish hideouts. I kept the original filter to which I have added some peat moss in the hope to reduce the pH (without much success so far).

I am planning to add a couple of honey gourami (Colisa chuna) next, and I would also like to have a group of shoaling fish. And here comes my question: I am having a hard time to choose between a group of 8-10 Rasbora espei or a group of 6 Pentazona barbs. If you have experience with either of these species, your advice will be greatly appreciated. My preference would be to have a group of rather active fish, but who also get along well with the loaches and gouramis.

Thank you very much for your advice!
Gouda

Personally I'd go with the Espei rasbora's. They are active and make very good community fish.

As for ph I wouldn't worry about it. Most fish can easily acclimate to whatever ph your water is. Messing with trying to lower ph can cause a lot of problems and a steady/constant ph is better than one that bounces up and down.

Back
Top Bottom