RCS and snails!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

warhorseart

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone, I'm new to having RCS. I've only had them for a few months. I started with 9 and lost 2. I've found babies and just noticed two females are now berried so I'm guessing the 6 females and one male are happy BUT my tank is being over run by some sort of snails. I've not done a serious cleaning because I don't want to loose and babies. Any ideas on what I can do? My tank is starting to look nasty.

image-2369275695.jpg

Some of the girls

image-2731689094.jpg

My lone male

image-3154496805.jpg

Look closely and you can see snails on the walls

image-426587941.jpg

Baby
This is a 3 gallon planted tank with a sponge filter and LED lighting.

Steph

Those look like ramshorn snails or maybe pond snails but you could get an assassin snail...and you might be over feeding...also if you get an assassin snail watch it to make sure it doesn't eat any baby shrimp I have read somewhere where it could happen...but with all the snails for it to eat the shrimp should be fine

If you ever wanted a crayfish, you have a great food source-Snails. You would have to keep it in another tank, but hey might as well make a good thing of the problem.

Those look like ramshorn snails or maybe pond snails but you could get an assassin snail...and you might be over feeding...also if you get an assassin snail watch it to make sure it doesn't eat any baby shrimp I have read somewhere where it could happen...but with all the snails for it to eat the shrimp should be fine

So where do I pick up an assassin snail? I'm in SoCal. Local LFS?
Thanks!

Yeah you should be able to get them from your lfs or you could go to aquabid or make thread in the classifieds section

Back
Top Bottom