rcs berried!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishnova

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought 10 rcs five days ago, 3 males/7 females I believe.
Yesterday I saw one of them berries! I have lots of plants, and a lot of good hiding spots. Good chance of survival?

Fishnova said:
I bought 10 rcs five days ago, 3 males/7 females I believe.
Yesterday I saw one of them berries! I have lots of plants, and a lot of good hiding spots. Good chance of survival?

Sure i guess so. They are very prolific, hardy.

Same here! I cant wait for little babies! I guess its 30 days till birth. I got mine because she already had eggs so any day now!:dance:

Yeah, I would not mind my tank being overrun with them! :p

Hey, Im in a similar situation. One of my new rcs has eggs in her belly. Dont know how long its been, should I leave the sponge filtre on or turn it off? Do the eggs remain in her belly until they hatch? Do you have a good source to raed up on rcs breeding?

Leave your filter on, sponge filters are perfect. They hatch while on the "belly", they will be miniature versions of the adults. If you have a lot of hiding spots you will probably have most surviving.

Hey there, new question, she dropped some of the eggs. Maybe a third of them withing the java moss. Will those still hatch? Is this because of stress?

I have read on another thread that they will only hatch on the belly, I also read they drop their eggs because of inexperience!

They hatched! I have seen at least 3 at a time, but they are soo tiny. How many aprox. hatch per female?

If you've got any kind of ground cover/caves at all, don't be surprised if you don't see the little shrimplets bopping around. If you want a good show, drop an algae wafer into the tank. Next thing you know, all kinds of jaw-dropping stuff happens. ;)

Yes, thats how I,ve been feeding them, but every other day. Maybe tomorrow I'll put one in there. They are so tiny Im amazed. Beautiful creatures.

I keep a magnifying glass near my RCS tank. They are truly a wonder. Who knew I'd be so fascinated by shrimp that weren't served in a butter wine sauce. :hide:

Lol, funny you should mention that. I showed the little ones to my sister this afternoon and she asked if you could eat those! :S and she is 34 yo.

Ok... what's going on?

One of the berried RCS I purchased a couple weeks is hatching right now! Is there some kind of shrimp attack us humanoids are not aware of???

LyndaB said:
If you've got any kind of ground cover/caves at all, don't be surprised if you don't see the little shrimplets bopping around. If you want a good show, drop an algae wafer into the tank. Next thing you know, all kinds of jaw-dropping stuff happens. ;)

Hey Lynda!

how long do you keep your Algea wafers in? Mine seem to turn into a algea oatmeal in about an hour, maybe less.

I also noticed leaving the wafer in, even after it breaks down, doesn't seem to effect the levels.

just curious.

did you put something over the filter intake? if not, get a magnifying glass and a flashlight and go hunting in your filter... right after you stick either sponge or pantyhose over the intake.

Hey Lynda!

how long do you keep your Algea wafers in? Mine seem to turn into a algea oatmeal in about an hour, maybe less.

I also noticed leaving the wafer in, even after it breaks down, doesn't seem to effect the levels.

just curious.

I leave the wafer in and within 12 hours, it's gonzo. Between the shrimp, the assassin snails and the corys, there's not a morsel left.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom