RCS where did they go? haha

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skiweeangel

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just picked up two TINY red cherry shrimp two days ago. The first 24 hours they were in my 10gal they were fine. Doing a beautiful job cleaning the algae that we have problems with, but new they have mysteriously disappeared. I checked the filter because I have heard if they are small they can be sucked up, but there are no traces of them in there. My tank has two danios (there were three but one died last week. That one was never really as healthy as the other two and never got any bigger even when I hand fed it) a headlight tail light tetra and an african dwarf frog. I was wondering if maybe the frog or tetra might have decided to have a little snack. There is no big belly on either of them, so I'm at a bit of a loss.

Any ideas?

If they were juvies, any of your fish, even the danios, could have picked them off. Keeping RCS colonies in community tanks is easy, but it requires big numbers, as inevitably, some of the smaller shrimp become snacks. A lot of cover, like glosso, hair grass, or java moss also helps them survive, as they can stay hidden.

It is possible they are still in there... shrimp like to hide. It would be easy to miss 2 small juvies in a tank. I have 50 or more RCS in a 5 gal tank, but a quick inspection would look like there are maybe 10 or so at a time. You have to look closely to see all the juvies and other shrimp...

thanks! if i don't notice anymore cleaning done by the end of the week I think I'll pick some adults up.

Back
Top Bottom