Re - occuring Fin rot? (Getting Angry Here)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey I just noticed today that the tank stinks. It smells bad. My other tank just has a light fish smell... nothing bad at all and the other tank stinks nasty!! There is an oil layer again and even some white stuff on the oil too.

Any way to increase the surface movement to break the film up? Some fish foods leave a bit of oil residue, or if you have the tank near the kitchen it can get oil in it.

The smell, assuming it is stagnant, should subside when you get the surface moving more.

When my betta did what yours is (fin rot, treatment, heal, but recurred), I just did 20% water changes every day and added a heater. Low and behold, after a couple days of immaculate water conditions and the proper temp, the rot was gone and he was already healing. Hope yours will get well soon.

Alright so I have been treating with Melafix for the bast 5 days or so... I have been changing the water every 2 - 3 days. (everyday seemed like it would be to stressfil) I have made sure to throughy clean it.

Well The bluish Halfmoon has a pinhole today,

The other betta also hasn't improved much at all. So I'm not sure what do do I guess...

Could it be my water conditioner?

I am trying to waterlog a piece of driftwood and that even got an oil layer... So I am starting to wonder if it is just the water conditioner. I am using some Top Fin that my aunt gave me...

I used Prime with my bettas. You are using half doses of the Melafix aren't you? Also, I would skip the Mela, and just use clean water.

Funny thing, my betta is relapsing for the third time with his fin rot. I am in the same boat: perfect temp. and no ammonia or nitrite. Hope you can get your's better soon.

I used Prime with my bettas. You are using half doses of the Melafix aren't you? Also, I would skip the Mela, and just use clean water.

I would highly recommend not using more than 1/5 dose of MelaFix with bettas.

Funny thing, my betta is relapsing for the third time with his fin rot. I am in the same boat: perfect temp. and no ammonia or nitrite. Hope you can get your's better soon.

I discovered today my VT has dropsy. Perfect temp and water. What is going on around here!?! :(

I don't know, I just wish I had my "Bionic Betta", Admaril Finn, back. He never got velvet or fin rot living in a 1.5g hex tank unheated and unfiltered. He made it to the ripe old age of 7. Now I have one in a pristine 5.5g with filtration, heat, and some plants. I am purely amazed!

Didn't mean to jack the thread. Keep us posted on the progress.

God I know what you guys are going through! My last Betta lived in a fish bowl for 5 years with no heater, no filter, a few live plants and bi-weekly water changes... no problems. The new one with the perfect tank and perfect water conditions and heater and filter and Summer House in the Hamptons has fin rot!

I think it may be because he insists on sleeping up against the filter which drags his fins through and probably rips them (he's a lovable little freak) but I dunno ... he may have had a fungal infection when I got him.

Anyway just wanted to see if anyone had had any luck with MelaFix and aquarium salt. I took a water sample down to the aquarium today and this is what they suggested. That and daily 25% water changes until it clears up. I'm worried though cos now I keep reading all over the internet how bad MelaFix is for bettas...

On the bright side however within two hours of putting in the MelaFix and salt and upping the temp to 28 degrees C he is no longer scratching and darting about and the tiny white patch on his head (which he came with hence me thinking complimentary fungal infection) has all but dissapeared.

Advise? Thoughts? Feelings?

The Mela worked well for me the first time I used it. I didn't have any ill side effect and my Bettas seemed fine. I don't see a problem with using it. Some people are dead against is, others love it.

If I were you I would just try the clean water and if worse comes to worse buy somehting better than Melafix and medicate him in a seperate tank.

God I know what you guys are going through! My last Betta lived in a fish bowl for 5 years with no heater, no filter, a few live plants and bi-weekly water changes... no problems. The new one with the perfect tank and perfect water conditions and heater and filter and Summer House in the Hamptons has fin rot!

I think it may be because he insists on sleeping up against the filter which drags his fins through and probably rips them (he's a lovable little freak) but I dunno ... he may have had a fungal infection when I got him.

Anyway just wanted to see if anyone had had any luck with MelaFix and aquarium salt. I took a water sample down to the aquarium today and this is what they suggested. That and daily 25% water changes until it clears up. I'm worried though cos now I keep reading all over the internet how bad MelaFix is for bettas...

On the bright side however within two hours of putting in the MelaFix and salt and upping the temp to 28 degrees C he is no longer scratching and darting about and the tiny white patch on his head (which he came with hence me thinking complimentary fungal infection) has all but dissapeared.

Advise? Thoughts? Feelings?

I would just buy BettaFix. If not, just know MelaFix is 5x the strength, so only give bettas 1/5 the dose. I have had great success treating torn fins with BettaFix, and have never seen ill effects in a betta from it. I think many of the reports I hear of bettas dying after treatment with MelaFix is due to overdosing. I do not use salt unless there's a definite infection..which in your case there is with the fungus, but otherwise if it were just the torn fins, I would skip the salt.

Sooo My boy got way worse today. I have been changing the water every other day and I stopped the Melafix because it wasn't helping any....

Temp - 78.6 (Guess what my thermometer doesn't have numbers. :p At least not that I can see...)
pH - 7.1
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate <50ppm

So ya just got it tested yesterday. Its perfect. :p

But Ya pictures now.

Apollo

Before -
img_1380381_0_c2e538b765fba2fccd4c4164abb9d16b.jpg

Now :
img_1380381_1_1de838200934b30c472084958e04dd07.jpg

Back