Re - occuring Fin rot? (Getting Angry Here)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is a giant article. In about the 6th paragrah it gives some symptoms.

Freshwater Fish Parasites

Ok so I did read through. Maybe it could be internal parasites... But I have been reading and can't find a for sure answer...

I was looking at this site...

http://bettaessentials.wikispaces.com/Sick+Betta+-+Internal+Parasites

And thinking maybe it could be Cestodes And Flagellates
This is because of these symptoms... - Paleness, loss of body mass (Kinda True... Not sure on this one though) , ragged fins,
Behavioral: the fish slowly becomes more and more lethargic

So what do you guys think? What do I do? Should I treat for that?

Actually I read more about the specific parts of that and that doesn't sound like it either.

Clinical signs of parasitic disease in fish can be vague. A sick fish may be seen swimming along, it may swim more slowly, it may swim on its side, the gills may move more rapidly, the fins may be clamped or be droopy, and it may be losing weight. The fish may have white spots on the skin or gills or it may rub against tank plants, ornaments or gravel. Some fish may have the appearance of a bloated abdomen.

Those are just some of the signs. You could always go get some anti-parasitic food (I have used Jungle) and try it. You feed them only that for a month, and it doesn't hurt them. They are like little pellets, and I would soak them for a bit and then break them in half, giving half to each betta. Also, you feed ONLY that food, no regular food.

NEW TREATMENT IDEA! -

Start doing 50 % water changes after the problem is solved...

Possibly feed and Anti - Parasitic food?

Treatment 1 -

Add 1 tsp Aquarium/ Kosher salt per gallon of water
Change 15 % Daily

Treatment 2 -

Add 1 tsp Aquarium/ Kosher salt per gallon of water and let fish swim in it for 20 minutes every day

What do you guys think I should do?

Last edited:
Clinical signs of parasitic disease in fish can be vague. A sick fish may be seen swimming along, it may swim more slowly, it may swim on its side, the gills may move more rapidly, the fins may be clamped or be droopy, and it may be losing weight. The fish may have white spots on the skin or gills or it may rub against tank plants, ornaments or gravel. Some fish may have the appearance of a bloated abdomen.

Those are just some of the signs. You could always go get some anti-parasitic food (I have used Jungle) and try it. You feed them only that for a month, and it doesn't hurt them. They are like little pellets, and I would soak them for a bit and then break them in half, giving half to each betta. Also, you feed ONLY that food, no regular food.

But it wouldn't hurt them at all? Half so it is a half dose I am guessing? So Better safe the sorry?

No, it won't hurt them. I said a 1/2 pellet because after you soak them they are pretty big. ;) I think it would be a good idea to try, since nothing else seems to be working.

http://www.junglelabs.com/pages/details.asp?item=JF170

Here is more info on the meds:
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4615+12788&pcatid=12788

Both say that they can be used as a preventative, so that means you can use them any time, and they have pretty much the same ingredients as regular fish food.

Last edited:
No, it won't hurt them. I said a 1/2 pellet because after you soak them they are pretty big. ;) I think it would be a good idea to try, since nothing else seems to be working.

Jungle Laboratories Corporation

Here is more info on the meds:
Medicated Aquarium Fish Food: Jungle Labs Medicated Fish Foods

Both say that they can be used as a preventative, so that means you can use them any time, and they have pretty much the same ingredients as regular fish food.

Details: Gently spread food over water surface so that it floats. Feed exclusively for 3 consecutive days a week for 4 weeks. Do not use other foods during these 3 day periods. Feed 1 or 2 times daily as much as the fish will eat. May be used with external water treatments, antibiotic/fungal or antiparasitic treatments. For scavengers and small fish, crush pellets to desired size.

So I only feeed them 3 times a week?

Would Spectrum Anti Parasitic food work? I have to see what I can find around here...

Oh! So my friends betta had a white poop that was about an inch long. It fell off now, and he appears normal. Does it mean he has internal parasites? Or was it just an off poop?

Oh! So my friends betta had a white poop that was about an inch long. It fell off now, and he appears normal. Does it mean he has internal parasites? Or was it just an off poop?

It depends. It could be something simple or it could be a sign of Hexamita. If the fish is losing weight, has a loss of appetite and its feces are long, slimy, white and stringy, then yes it's probably Hexamita. Otherwise the fish might just be constipated.

Need to know more before I can say anything on that issue.

Details: Gently spread food over water surface so that it floats. Feed exclusively for 3 consecutive days a week for 4 weeks. Do not use other foods during these 3 day periods. Feed 1 or 2 times daily as much as the fish will eat. May be used with external water treatments, antibiotic/fungal or antiparasitic treatments. For scavengers and small fish, crush pellets to desired size.

So I only feeed them 3 times a week?

No, the way that I interpret that is, you feed only the medicated food to them for 3 consecutive days, each week, for 4 weeks. On the other days you feed them as normal. On those 3 days however, you feed them only the medicated food.

I would use what dkpate suggested. It's good stuff. If you can't find it locally, you can easily find it by mail order from the Internet.

It depends. It could be something simple or it could be a sign of Hexamita. If the fish is losing weight, has a loss of appetite and its feces are long, slimy, white and stringy, then yes it's probably Hexamita. Otherwise the fish might just be constipated.

Need to know more before I can say anything on that issue.

Nope - His appetite is fine, he is active, swims around happily and has a perfectly round belly. He just had a white poop last night... so she was worried.

No, the way that I interpret that is, you feed only the medicated food to them for 3 consecutive days, each week, for 4 weeks. On the other days you feed them as normal. On those 3 days however, you feed them only the medicated food.

I would use what dkpate suggested. It's good stuff. If you can't find it locally, you can easily find it by mail order from the Internet.

So find the Jungle Anti- parasite stuff. So you think this could be causing the problems too? I will look at Petsmart. They have a ton of fish meds / food. :) Should I use aquarium salt too?

So find the Jungle Anti- parasite stuff. So you think this could be causing the problems too? I will look at Petsmart. They have a ton of fish meds / food. :) Should I use aquarium salt too?

I couldn't say for sure. All I can say with certainty is that I know the Jungle product works, and works well.

As far as the salt is concerned, don't overdo it. Use one or the other. Otherwise you may begin to stress your fish with too many cures at once. Not good for them or the tank.

I couldn't say for sure. All I can say with certainty is that I know the Jungle product works, and works well.

As far as the salt is concerned, don't overdo it. Use one or the other. Otherwise you may begin to stress your fish with too many cures at once. Not good for them or the tank.

So just use the food?

With the anti-parasitic food, you feed ONLY that, no regular food, for a month. Bettas can go up to a month without ANY food, so only feeding them 3 times a week will be fine.

I got my Jungle stuff at PetSmart.

Make sure you soak the pellets first, they get pretty big, and then break them in half. Maybe that way you can feed them "twice as much", half a pellet each day, which would be 6 times a week, with one day of fasting.

With the anti-parasitic food, you feed ONLY that, no regular food, for a month. Bettas can go up to a month without ANY food, so only feeding them 3 times a week will be fine.

I got my Jungle stuff at PetSmart.

Make sure you soak the pellets first, they get pretty big, and then break them in half. Maybe that way you can feed them "twice as much", half a pellet each day, which would be 6 times a week, with one day of fasting.

Neither of the petstores by me sells it. :( So should I use aquarium salt while I wait for the food?

Back
Top Bottom