Re-Stocking Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Minkota

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 150g FOWLR that I am re-stocking after a MV outbreak. I already have a ~2-1/2" Lion Fish and a ~3" Blue Throat Trigger. I would like to hear some suggestion to put with them. I already have decided to add some type of eel as well just haven't decided which I want.

Tank: 48"X 24" X 30", running 30g wet/dry. AquaC EV 120 (overdriven with Mag 7 pump) have UV sterilizer, and running Bio-Pellets, and 150W MH with 2 96W PC.

Gotta have a puffer in there. Haha, sorry I'm just a big fan of puffers, as well as gobies but as i found out the hard way lionfish tend to like gobies as snacks :popcorn:

I agree 100% with the puffer suggestion!!! Even if you dot get a big one they are awesome. I had a blue spotted puffer for a bit before my tank got struck with ich and it would only grow to about 4 or 5 inches.

I have a blue spotted puffer, she's my baby, she has a little Buddha decoration in her tank she cuddles up with at night, haha.. I also have a stars and stripes in a separate tank, he's pretty beefy, haha. I've always loved porcupines, their what inspired me to get into aquarium keeping, but I've had three and all have died of internal parasites within weeks. Mega bummer, but at least theirs all kinds of puffers :p some more hardy then others.

Puffers are now on my list, not sure what kind yet i think the Blue Spot will be too small to be with the Lion when he gets bigger. I had a dog faced, but he died when I had the Marine Velvet.

Stars and Stripes are pretty hardy. Mines had ich forever now and he's still kicking. working on treating him right now. Your right with the blue spotted though, as well as valentinis and toby type puffers, they tend to be smaller and more "submissive", at least in my experience. I want a spiny box puffer so bad, they would be able to hold there own with the lionfish, but I'd definitely recommend quarantining them cause they are ussually ich magnets and parasites are common.

Love the Stars and Stripes. But I thought they stayed about the same sizes as a blue spot? I will always quarantine since I lost everything due to marine velvet.

Yeah i don't blame you. My stars and stripes is huge, just as big as most of the dog faces I've seen. He's got a big ole belly on him, haha

Attachments

• DSCN4415.jpg
    DSCN4415.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 81
Yeah i don't blame you. My stars and stripes is huge, just as big as most of the dog faces I've seen. He's got a big ole belly on him, haha

What are you feeding the lion? Do you feed the puffer and lion same type of food or target feed each? My lion eats pretty much anything that goes in the tank as does the trigger they are not very picket at all.

I feed a variety of frozen foods, mysis shimp, octopus and squid cubes. I have a lionfish, stars and stripes puffer and a baby huma trigger, as well as an engineer goby-but he doesn't really go after the food, he's more of a bottom feeder. I usually cut a frozen cube in half and get the lionfish to go to one half and the puffer to go the other..but usually the puffer ends up with a majority of the food, unless the lionfish gets it in one gulp. I then make sure the trigger gets some food later by feeding live brine shrimp, a small clam, or a little piece of another cube. They're all quite hardy and seem to manage getting the appropriate amount of food together, though the puffer is quite a pig, haha

In a tank like that you could maybe get a couple of snowflake eels, and I'd go for a dog face puffer, aside from that maybe have a look a a couple of a bi colour angle, powder blue or brown tang, racoon butterfly or marine Betta maybe

I feed a variety of frozen foods, mysis shimp, octopus and squid cubes. I have a lionfish, stars and stripes puffer and a baby huma trigger, as well as an engineer goby-but he doesn't really go after the food, he's more of a bottom feeder. I usually cut a frozen cube in half and get the lionfish to go to one half and the puffer to go the other..but usually the puffer ends up with a majority of the food, unless the lionfish gets it in one gulp. I then make sure the trigger gets some food later by feeding live brine shrimp, a small clam, or a little piece of another cube. They're all quite hardy and seem to manage getting the appropriate amount of food together, though the puffer is quite a pig, haha

The Huma Trigger doesn't mess with the Lion? I was always under the impression they don't normally go well together so I was considering the Bursa Trigger since it looks very similar to the Huma. May have to re-think the Huma now...

Any thoughts on a Australian Harlequin Tusk? I've never had one before so I don't know much about them.

Tusks are very cool. Had an ex with one in her 300g. I plan to get one at some point when I upgrade.

How will it do with the lion, triggers, eel and puffer. I am researching it tonight. But I'm not sure when I can get one I think they are out of season now.

She had a Blue Throat in the same tank and they were fine. I don't have first hand experience with the others you mentioned.

The Huma Trigger doesn't mess with the Lion? I was always under the impression they don't normally go well together so I was considering the Bursa Trigger since it looks very similar to the Huma. May have to re-think the Huma now...

I'm actually surprised the lionfish hasn't tried to eat the Huma, haha, cause he ate my bigger sand goby. I got the huma as just a baby, he's about 1 inche.so cute. I got him as a baby to see if he would be less aggressive towards his tankmates as he grew. Where i bought him actually had the lionfish with a giant huma too, and they were fine, but I'm sure it depends on the individual fish. I had a niger trigger that killed a dragon wrasse, which really surprised me, cause there supposedly one of the less aggressive triggers

I found a Black Edge Moray, the the people at the store said he is VERY aggressive so I'm not sure if I should take him or not. They already sold it once and the person returned it because it was so aggressive. Too bad it's a really good price too.

I was on my way into one of the LFS and some guy was donating a Snowflake Eel and asked if I wanted him so I just scored a free 5" Snowflake! Hope the lion doesn't try to eat him.

Back
Top Bottom