re-visiting loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cash Turtle

Aquarium Advice Regular
is there a small loach theynlikes to eat snails and is ok without other loaches in the tank?

right now my tank( 30 gallon)
has 6 fancy guppies
around 20ish fry(will be removed)
1 banjo catfish
and 2 rosy minnows
im planning on adding 6-10 pygmy cories when i can get my hands on them
oh and probably a pair of apple snails(brigs) will be added if theres room
i dont want to overstock my tank but i do want to keep pest snails under control i've pulled 4 adult pysids from the tank since i first set it u[ so they dont seem to be getting out of control yet but now im getting limpets everywhere.
i dont know if they'll hurt anything but their unattractive sticking to the glass like little booger snails and they also get into the filters even with my prefilteration sponges

and if there is sucha loach is it going to bother the little cories i want or out-compete them for food? or eat my guppie fry?

yoyo's or clowns

I put 3 yoyos and 3 clowns (1 died) to keep my snail population under control. I no longer have a snail problem. In fact I never see any snails. I do clean them out of my cannister filter and fed them. I really would like to find a supple to feed them.

angelicus loaches (botia kubotai) would also be good and they stay small, and they're really pretty to boot. just a word of warning--most loaches like to be in groups--yoyos, angelicus should be in groups of at least 3. there are also sidithmunki (spelling???????) that stay quite small--but i'm not sure if the eat snails. rule of thumb--if the loach is from the botia genus, they will eat snails.

hth

I have yoyo's in my 29 gal, and clowns in my 125. Both tanks are snail free. But as mentioned they need to be in schools of at least 3.

Back
Top Bottom