Real coral in freshwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

handb94

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I went to the beach the other day and found a small piece of coral floating by the shore and decided that I wanted it. I was wondering if their was anyway it would be alright to put it in my freshwater tank. If not I will be happy to return it to the ocean. Thanks in advance.

no fw will kill it if its still alive. if its dead the coral will raise the ph and hardness of your tank which might be a bad thing.

A piece of coral by the shore is likely dead .... You can tell if it is white & looks like bone.

Coral will increase the pH & KH of your tank, up to carbonate's equilibrium point of pH 8 or so. If your water is already at 8, then it will not do anything to the water.

If you want to use the coral, make sure that it is totally dead (dry it out). Then boil it to make sure all hitch-hiking critters are dead & scrub off all organic matter. Then test by soaking in some water for a week or so & make sure it will not change the water chemistry too much. <As I said before, this will be true only if your water starts out with pH of 7.8 or more.>

Back
Top Bottom