Recent water test

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amicus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently vacuumed my tantrum and I forgot to turn my biowheel off. Yesterday I tested my water along with a 20% pwc. Ammonia and nitrites were 0 but nitrates were a little higher than usual at about 10 ppm and they are usually at 0-5 ppm. I checked my filter cartridge and it had tannins and gunk on it. I rinsed the filter in the pwc water. My water is cloudy and the water is slightly running over the cartridge. Could the condition of the filter cause the nitrates to spike? I just changed the cartridge 2 weeks ago, is it clogged and in need of replacement?

What type of filter are you running? Nitrates at 10ppm is not a bad thing actually. My tap water tests around 5-10ppm right out of the tap. If the water is bypassing the filter media it sounds like it is clogged. Try rinsing it real good in tank water and see if it helps any.

My nitrite levels are usually no higher than 5ppm they were higher last week so that's why I vacuumed otherwise I usually don't. I also rinsed the filter in my pwc water yesterday to try and take care of the nitrates and bypass. I may just replace the carriage. I have also had a hard time getting crystal clear water, if that is even possible. I monitor my tank like a hawk and still cloudy results.

Amicus said:
My nitrite levels are usually no higher than 5ppm they were higher last week so that's why I vacuumed otherwise I usually don't. I also rinsed the filter in my pwc water yesterday to try and take care of the nitrates and bypass. I may just replace the carriage. I have also had a hard time getting crystal clear water, if that is even possible. I monitor my tank like a hawk and still cloudy results.

Having nitrAtes in the 10-40ppm is fine and shows that the bacteria are thriving. When you say cloudy do you mean white cloudy water? It's most likely a bacteria bloom and 25% PWC 2 or 3 days in a row should clear it up.

I am not sure how to describe the cloudiness. It is not really white and not gray, it is a light, kind of foggy translucent cloudiness. Does not obscure view at all but I am striving for lfs clarity. Is it because they use tons of carbon?

Yeah mine looks like that if u look close does it look like little bubbles or something like that

Amicus said:
I am not sure how to describe the cloudiness. It is not really white and not gray, it is a light, kind of foggy translucent cloudiness. Does not obscure view at all but I am striving for lfs clarity. Is it because they use tons of carbon?

Carbon scrubs the water very clean, but I'm not a big fan of it and yes, IMO LFS most likely do just that.

You could run some polyfill/fiber to polish the water some more. I run polyfiber in all of my filters and I think that is the reason my water is always crystal clear.

I like using polyfiber as well. It does a very good job of clearing/polishing the water. I'll often use it as a final stage in my filters.

Back
Top Bottom