Recently Changed Substrate, now I've got some Questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I see what you mean now! So I've seen the bowfront version in the lfs, and I'm sure they carry the breeder, but IYO do you think I'd get a better price at amazon or Craigslist? I figure that you'd know the answer to that one :)

alia258 said:
I see what you mean now! So I've seen the bowfront version in the lfs, and I'm sure they carry the breeder, but IYO do you think I'd get a better price at amazon or Craigslist? I figure that you'd know the answer to that one :)

You can find good deals on Craigslist. Of course it depends on your area. There are always tanks for sale where I live. Not a popular hobby here I guess. People don't stick with it.

Alright, well I don't know about my area, I guess I'll have to do some serious shopping! Maybe I'll pick up a 5g as a isolation tank as well :) (or was 10g the size?) I'll have to double check, but I'm sure it'll all work out ^^

I've got another minor issue, I've got melting leaves, any idea how to fix this?

alia258 said:
Alright, well I don't know about my area, I guess I'll have to do some serious shopping! Maybe I'll pick up a 5g as a isolation tank as well :) (or was 10g the size?) I'll have to double check, but I'm sure it'll all work out ^^

I've got another minor issue, I've got melting leaves, any idea how to fix this?

What plant(s) are melting?

I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than a 10g as an iso tank IMO.

Look like our tank is coming along nicely :)

My melon swords are the only ones that seem to be melting. See?

alia258 said:
My melon swords are the only ones that seem to be melting. See?

Acclimation melt?...When did you plant it? When was the last time you pushed in a root tab under it?

About a week ago I put a root tab directly under it. I recently changed to a liquid fertilizer, is it acclimating to it?

blert said:
Acclimation melt?...When did you plant it? When was the last time you pushed in a root tab under it?

+1 I'd agree it looks like acclimation melt or even emersed to submerged transition

It's not emersed to submersed, so it's definitely acclimation melt. Will it go away on it's own?

alia258 said:
It's not emersed to submersed, so it's definitely acclimation melt. Will it go away on it's own?

How long have you had it?

I've had the melons for about two years, and I've had the new liquid fertilizer for about a week, maybe even a week and a half. I just recently noticed the melting, it's really new

Two years? Ok, not acclimation melt. So, a deficiency then.
What is your nitrate level?
What nutrients are in your ferts (both liquid and tabs)? There should be a "guaranteed analysis" on the package.

blert said:
Two years? Ok, not acclimation melt. So, a deficiency then.
What is your nitrate level?
What nutrients are in your ferts (both liquid and tabs)? There should be a "guaranteed analysis" on the package.

Potassium and/or phosphate issue?

Root tabs have potassium and iron with other trace things. Liquid is a dechlorinater and it adds some iron potassium some nitrates and something else and it adds acetitne (spelling?) of about .1%

alia258 said:
Root tabs have potassium and iron with other trace things. Liquid is a dechlorinater and it adds some iron potassium some nitrates and something else and it adds acetitne (spelling?) of about .1%

What liquid are you referring to ???
Dechlorinators are not Fertilizers !?!

I use Prime as my Dechlorinator and I use
API Leaf Zone or Flourish (comprehensive) as my liquid Fert.

Coursair said:
What liquid are you referring to ???
Dechlorinators are not Fertilizers !?!

I use Prime as my Dechlorinator and I use
API Leaf Zone or Flourish (comprehensive) as my liquid Fert.

She uses Jungle Plant Care water conditioner. It has potassium and iron in it.

Once that bottle is gone I would switch to a regular conditioner (Prime is about the least expensive per dose) and a better liquid fert like Flourish Comp or Brightwell FlorinMulti.

Alia - you never answered my question about your nitrate level.

My mom has convinced herself that I don't need a water testing kit and so I can't tell you because she says I need to pay for it myself and I just blew all my money on other aquarium things. I'm looking for an online site to get liquid testers because my lfs doesn't have any. I do 50% pwcs weekly, and sometimes 25% when there's an extra amount of food I see or a large build up of poop. I recently had three more cat fish of some sort dumped in my tank (they didn't have any other place to go and I wouldn't allow them to be flushed) and they seem to be some kind of algae eater and I need to double check the species and such. All three have what looks like inflamed gills which might be because of the change in chemicals and the fact that they were in an unfiltered and uncleaned tank for about a week and a half. I'm worried about the poor guys! I'm sure I can keep up with the bio load, I'm just hoping they stay small until I get a larger tank. Or better yet, if they stay small no matter what would be great! :)

alia258 said:
My mom has convinced herself that I don't need a water testing kit and so I can't tell you because she says I need to pay for it myself and I just blew all my money on other aquarium things. I'm looking for an online site to get liquid testers because my lfs doesn't have any. I do 50% pwcs weekly, and sometimes 25% when there's an extra amount of food I see or a large build up of poop. I recently had three more cat fish of some sort dumped in my tank (they didn't have any other place to go and I wouldn't allow them to be flushed) and they seem to be some kind of algae eater and I need to double check the species and such. All three have what looks like inflamed gills which might be because of the change in chemicals and the fact that they were in an unfiltered and uncleaned tank for about a week and a half. I'm worried about the poor guys! I'm sure I can keep up with the bio load, I'm just hoping they stay small until I get a larger tank. Or better yet, if they stay small no matter what would be great! :)

Save up for the API Master Kit. Much cheaper than buying the tests separately. Amazon should have them cheap. Nitrogen deficiency can show as yellowing and browning as the plant cannibalizes itself.

Post pics of the cats, someone will be able to identify them most likely. Be prepared for the obligatory "too big for your tank, rehome them" posts. ;) Keep your water as clean as possible and they should heal up nicely so long as it's not some major issue like a disease.

blert said:
Save up for the API Master Kit. Much cheaper than buying the tests separately. Amazon should have them cheap. Nitrogen deficiency can show as yellowing and browning as the plant cannibalizes itself.

Post pics of the cats, someone will be able to identify them most likely. Be prepared for the obligatory "too big for your tank, rehome them" posts. ;) Keep your water as clean as possible and they should heal up nicely so long as it's not some major issue like a disease.

I'm totally ready for the tank bein to small lectures, but the little guys are ranging from 1/2-1 inch at the moment and so they aren't too large or anything right now :) by the time I get a bigger tank, then they'll be needing some room, but for the moment they're small enough. I have a few pics from yesterday of them so I'll put them up right here :) I wish I knew what they were!!! They haven't touched the algae discs, but I put two in this morning hoping that they find them and nibble on them a little. Of course I'll take the discs out when I get home if they aren't already gone, I'm sure the bottom feeder will eat some of them since he's so used to eating them as well (he's taking nicely to the extra granules I put on the bottom until and I'll get him some better food soon as well)

Back
Top Bottom