Recommend me a Biological Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mbooth9

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I currently have a 55 gallon tank with an Aqueon 75 filter. I have an Albino Tiger Oscar and a common pleco in the tank.
I am looking at buying a biological filter for the tank. How is the Aquaclear 110?

The HOBs are really more of a chemical filter than a biological one. There may be some biological activity in the cartridges but that is not their main purpose as these things need to be cleaned to maintain filtering abilities.
For a Biological filter, I would use one of the larger sponge filters in conjunction with your HOB. Sponge filters are designed for Biological Filtration. Considering you have an Oscar ( a really dirty fish when older), you want the best mechanical filtering you can get. Frequent cleaning of your filter along with routine water changes will keep the tank clean and the fish healthy. This will reduce the stress on your biological filter in the long run.

Hope this helps

Tank Filtration

I currently have a 55 gallon tank with an Aqueon 75 filter. I have an Albino Tiger Oscar and a common pleco in the tank.
I am looking at buying a biological filter for the tank. How is the Aquaclear 110?

Hello m...

The bacteria is the biological filtration and lives on all the surfaces inside the filter, particularly in the media because of all the surface area. So, if your current filter has a gallon per hour (gph) rating of at least 200, you have sufficient filtration and aeration for a 55 G. You also have the benefit of all the bacteria living on all the other surfaces like substrate, plants, driftwood, rocks or any other decorations in the tank. Anything inside the tank that has a surface will house good bacteria.

Add to all this, large and frequent water changes and you have a healthy tank.

B

Tank Filtration

Apologies for a second post. Apparently, I "fat-fingered" something.

B

Back
Top Bottom