Recommendations for tank size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cruella

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So right now I have a ten gallon tank with a bala shark, rainbow shark, and a bristlenose pleco. I know they each could get to at least four inches, so I will need to upgrade to a bigger tank soon. Also, in a bigger tank, should it provide more ground space or more space from the height to swim?
I have an entertainment center where I am hoping to keep the bigger tank, but the dimensions would have to be around 25x15x25, which would only be around 30 gallons. Please help.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Bala Sharks get huge... WAY over 4". I've never kept Balas, Rainbows, or Plecos, but I would guess that the Balas would need a 75 gallon tank or larger. Your tanks will need more lateral space than height space.

Yep, that's not really accurate, balas have the potential of going upwards of 14", they also like groups. You should consider taking it back and looking into some smaller varieties;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

When I bought the bala, they said it should only get to an average of six inches?

When I bought the bala, they said it should only get to an average of six inches?

And you still bought it knowing it was going into a 10g tank? Even with a potential upgrade

Always always always do your own research before you buy a fish. The average LFS employee knows just barely enough to be dangerous which leads to way too many problems.

Balas get to 16" and need to live in groups.
Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Bala Shark

I disagree with their size recommendation for that particular fish and think it should be a bit bigger. Maybe in the 125 range.

However, if you were willing to rehome him then I would highly suggest a 40g breeder or 75g tank for an upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom