recommended velvet treatments?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimmyp

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What does anyone think the best treatment for velvet maybe? Has anyone successfully treated it. From reading the web it looks pretty grim for my fish. Raising the temp seems pretty undecided upon whether it is best thing to do?

I'd treat it like you treat ich, aquarium salt and raised heat, but i'm not sure if there's a better way.

Acriflavine by Kordon or Cuprimine by Seachem, both contain copper and will kill invertebrates, stain decor and silicone, and leave copper residue behind for a long time so a QT tank is recommended. Is this a fresh or saltwater tank? Make sure the lights are off during treatment as well.

Copper sulfate is needed to treat, don't treat this like plain old ick this needs to addressed with medication, salt and slightly higher temps will help but will not kill the parasite.

Last edited:
Fish Disease Treatment

Hello jimmy. I've occasionally added a little standard aquarium salt to my tanks to keep them disease free and I think Homedog has a good remedy. Over the next 48 hours, slowly raise the temp in the tank to 86, warmer than that can damage to plants.

Plug in an air pump and put an airstone into the tank. Warm water needs added water movement and oxygen. Do a 50 percent water change and add one teaspoon of aquarium salt to every five gallons of the water change water.

Turn off the tank lights, this will calm the fish and remove an energy source from the parasites. If possible keep the room where you have the tank as dark as possible.

One last thing, fish that have a disease tend to stop eating, so don't feed them for a couple of days. You don't want added food spoiling in the tank and creating more water condition problems.

B

Thanks for the advice peeps. One thing i'm wary of is how my blue acara may react to higher temp there preferred is 23 deg c i have mine at 26 already. My lfs is over an hour away can i use any other kind of salt i could pick up locally? If not does anyone know a good uk aquarium mail order supplier? Even with lights off It is a pretty bright room. could always cover tank with blanket like when i had serious algae problem. One thingi would say is they all ate very well this morning. Hopefully only in early stages of infestation.

Salt Use in Aquariums

Thanks for the advice peeps. One thing i'm wary of is how my blue acara may react to higher temp there preferred is 23 deg c i have mine at 26 already. My lfs is over an hour away can i use any other kind of salt i could pick up locally? If not does anyone know a good uk aquarium mail order supplier? Even with lights off It is a pretty bright room. could always cover tank with blanket like when i had serious algae problem. One thingi would say is they all ate very well this morning. Hopefully only in early stages of infestation.

jimmy,

I'd use standard aquarium salt, not table salt or anything else. Iodized table salt may contain ingredients that aren't good for your fish.

Also, the blanket idea is a good one. It will keep the tank dark. A bit of side information. Parasites attach themselves to fish by sight. A dark tank will make it more difficult for them to see anything.

Didn't mention this earlier, but if possible vacuum the gravel during the water change. You'll remove a number of the parasites if you do.

B

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom