Record Keeping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robertmarda

Aquarium Advice Freak
Do any of you keep records about your fish? If so, what do you keep track of? Or am I the only one who bothers to record info about my fish?

I keep info in various sheets of a spreadsheet. I record when I obtain a fish (be it purchased, given to me, or born in one of my tanks), when I gave the fish a name, when I put a fish together with another for breeding purposes, when their babies are born, Ph and Ammonia levels, temp, when I do a partial water change and how much I change, when I clean filters, and when a fish dies. I also record distinguishing marks, especially when I have more than one of the same type of fish. I also keep track of when I set up a tank or when I empty it completely in order to move it (thankfully, I've only done this once to move the 55 gallon tank from one side of the living room to the other).

I use an aquarium management program, to keep track of my tank. The one I use is free, but I'm considering upgrading to a version you pay for.

Records

I don't keep records on individual fish, but I do keep records on water parameters and general appearance. I do this on tanks at home and the ones I service for customers. The water parameter record is a good indicator of something starting to go wrong before a major crash happens. I'm going to try one of the software programs here at home to see how I like it and may apply that to the customers tanks as well.
Logan J

Hi reefrunner69,
I use an aquarium management program, to keep track of my tank. The one I use is free,...
May I ask what the name of that program is ?

The paid version that you are considering, is it a more advance version of the same software that you currently use?

I take it that you are satisfied with it since you are thinking of upgrading.

Sounds like I am using the same program Reefrunner69 is using. I keep track of when I put the fish in the tank or medicate the tanks. Just about anything I do to my tanks is kept here.

It's called Aquarium Manager for windows. It's freeware, The software I am considering upgrading to is not the same. I have talked to several people though and it seems a little easier to keep track of multiple tanks and it has more options available. I am satisfied with the freeware, I just feel I need something that does a little more. Mine does not at this point keep track of new fish added or corals, or price paid etc...it basically records your parameters and analizes the data provided, it will chart the progress of your tank and has a unit converter. For the price paid...it's Ok. I can't remember off the top of my head the name of the program, I've talked to people about, but I will look for it tomorrow and post the name.

I keep records of fish brought, ornaments brought and any plants. There is a section in the book that came with the tank that provides a space for all this data.
I never thought that there would be a programme on the PC for aquarium keepers !

Is it a free download ?

The Aquarium manager program is a free download. You can d'load it free at my yahoo group, here, and you don't have to be a member. It is the file marked AquaMan.zip.

There is another free program called Reefcon by www.infinitysoft.net this program is what I am looking at, only I'm looking at the reefcon pro, which is the pay for software.

Another aquarium tracking program, that is a little more expensive, but has lot's of stuff, disease ID etc... is found here http://www.micromarinesoftware.com/index.html This might be good for a beginning aquarist cause of the photogallery and the disease ID.

Hi reefrunner69, Thanks for the links. I checked out the software and I really like the look of Reefcon 2000 (the free version), so I downloaded it. The screen shots look quite user-friend and intuitive.

For anyone that is interested, during my search for software, I stumbled across a (FREE) on-line aquarium manager,
http://www.aquaserve.com/wetnet/default.asp

How does it work?
Simply sign up with eFishTank. You'll then be able to record information about your tank, set up your own private web space, and take advantage of all of eFishTank's features. If you want to have email reminders sent to you, just click on the eMail Reminders link. This is a particularly valuable feature for such irregular events as changing the lights or cleaning the filters.

For New Users
AquaServe's eFishTank concentrates on providing a site to help you track your water chemistry, tank acitivities, and store tank inventories. There are simple graphs available for such items as pH, ammonia levels, etc. For an example of the graphing, visit the New Tank Example. Water chemistry is very important to monitor in newly set up tanks, but it is also helpful to know the history of your tank's water chemistry.

Additionally, the Tank Maintenance pages allow you to track new arrivals and water changes.

I haven't checked it out any further but it looks OK at first glance.

Ya thats on ok site.

I used to use it myself. There is acutally a link on my personal website to that one.

I just forget about it.

I keep lots of records, all on paper. Charts to record results of weekly water testing, dates of ea. water change, carbon replacement, any treatments for disease, etc. Another notebook lists each tank, and the kind of lighting, the inhabitants, etc. I also keep track of dates aquired, deaths, trade-in's. Birth's of fry,etc. Size fish was aquired at. And I even keep a journal on top of that, just dedicated to my fish tanks! And still another notebook with fish species information and pictures, here I put the names I have given each fish as well. yes, I have alot of free time lately. LOL Also I have a lousy memory, so this really helps me remember what works and what doesn't, for future referral.

Back
Top Bottom