Red Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatoeSc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What are tips to getting rid of re algae? I have it in my tank and refugium. I'd like to get rid of it before it gets out of control.

Is it cyano? Things that would help would be feed less, shorten the light period, increase water changes. What is your routine with all of the above? How much do you feed and how often? How long are your light on and what kind are they? How often and how much water changes do you do? Type of filtration/set up?

Is it cyano? Things that would help would be feed less, shorten the light period, increase water changes. What is your routine with all of the above? How much do you feed and how often? How long are your light on and what kind are they? How often and how much water changes do you do? Type of filtration/set up?

25 gallon FOWLR w/ 10 gallon sump/refugium.
27 total lbs of LR
Eshopps nano skimmer
Running lights at 12 hour intervals rotating between display and sump.
Display lighting is 1 14 watt 10,000 K T5 and 1 14 watt actinic blue t5.
Refugium light says its a 10,000K 26 watt.

Feed at night, not too much. It's a flake food. Issue is it flushes quickly into the overflow.

Ammonia stays 0, Trites stay 0, treated are =/< 10

Cool, how many fish do you have? Flake food is not fantastic and can certainly contribute to algae, your fish might enjoy a frozen treat every other day too! I would cut the lights down a bit to around 8 in the display and increase water changes, siphoning out any visible algae also. I know it doesn't fix things over night but in time you should see it clear up...

Cool, how many fish do you have? Flake food is not fantastic and can certainly contribute to algae, your fish might enjoy a frozen treat every other day too! I would cut the lights down a bit to around 8 in the display and increase water changes, siphoning out any visible algae also. I know it doesn't fix things over night but in time you should see it clear up...

I have 2 false Perc's and a variety of snails and hermit crabs. I change the water weekly. Other than frozen, what do you suggest feeding.

Odd thing about this stuff, when the lights first come on, it's lie there's nothing there, then as the day wears in it colors up so by the time the lights go off, it's really noticeable.

LFS diagnosed it as red slime algae and recommended chemiclean. Went ahead and got if and dosed the tank. Should see results within about 48 hours.

I fed frozen mysis shrimp and they loved it. Anxious to see the result.

Hi there

Nine times out of 10 it's usually caused by bad circulation And high nutrients try increasing your circulation so there's no dead spots Cut down on your Feed And keep siphoning it off

I feed my tank twice a week one frozen cube of mysis, krill, or blood worm. It's helpful and healthier to stay away from phosphate rich flake foods. Same can eventually be said for the water the frozen food is packed in, but you can just rinse it out.

Back
Top Bottom