Red Cotton-like \ Hair algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SparKy697

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have spent some time looking for any information/threads on this algae that seems to have made a permanent home in my fuge. So far I have been ubable to id it or find a cause for it.

I'm hitting a few boards to see what I can learn... Any thoughts?

img_927750_0_d68754ce208c83ad2f45052f62a08e7c.jpg

img_927750_1_722db99a046f8f2b50b4a2924610b915.jpg

img_927750_2_ec9bdcddf6d9b54b944c94bea3dd4d92.jpg

Ahhhh, the dreaded red hair algae. I hate this stuff and very difficult to eliminate regardless of your assumed nutrient load. I've heard of Diadema urchins consuming it along with foxface fish, but not as a priority and depending on actual algae specie I'm sure. Other than pulling it out, using a toothbrush and hose combination, and/or just allowing cyano to smother it; I've had few promising solutions to ridding the stuff, but have heard of others going to the extent of using a small butane torch on their rock (not sure I like that idea, but when desperations rears its ugly head)....

Hello Innovator. Been a long time.

I'm close to trying to do a manual removal. This is in my fuge and has a very healthy community of little stars living in and around it. I'm sure some will survive and repopulate, but I hate doing a mass killing of them. That may be the only choice though.

Back
Top Bottom