Red Devil Cichlid with odd eyes? Hybrid/mutation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

akariwings

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am pretty sure this cichlid I received is a red devil cichlid but it has black coloration on the eyes that make him look like he has diamond shaped pupils (his actual pupils are fine and I don't think he has vision problems). I don't know if it is a mutation or the result of breeding (hybridized or something) that would give his eyes this appearance since I haven't seen any photos of red cichlids with similar eyes. Can anyone help figure this out?

Attachments

• 20170824_221425.jpg
    20170824_221425.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
I am pretty sure this cichlid I received is a red devil cichlid but it has black coloration on the eyes that make him look like he has diamond shaped pupils (his actual pupils are fine and I don't think he has vision problems). I don't know if it is a mutation or the result of breeding (hybridized or something) that would give his eyes this appearance since I haven't seen any photos of red cichlids with similar eyes. Can anyone help figure this out?
I cant really help but I posted an ID help with a fish that I own. I always thought it was a Red Zebra but the bigger it gets the more it's starting to look like the your Red Devil. His behavior is odd and extreme compared to the rest and I've had to QT him/her for the second time the other day. This forum won't let me post a picture but if you look for mine you will see he has the same eyes.

I cant really help but I posted an ID help with a fish that I own. I always thought it was a Red Zebra but the bigger it gets the more it's starting to look like the your Red Devil. His behavior is odd and extreme compared to the rest and I've had to QT him/her for the second time the other day. This forum won't let me post a picture but if you look for mine you will see he has the same eyes.

It is possible he is a red devil. They are known for being highly aggressive and won't tolerate any other fish/living animal in its tank after a certain age and need a lot of room to themselves. The differences between them from what I can find are their size and general shape so if they grow more than 5 inches or so it is likely a red devil.

I also saw it mentioned somewhere that there could be half-breeds/mixes where it could have some genetics from both but don't know how much truth there is in that (or if there is a way to tell if your cichlid is one).

Back
Top Bottom