Red eye tetra failing, suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

walklong

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a single red eyed tetra that appears to be on his way to the great aquarium in the sky . . .

About a week ago, we noticed he'd lost all his color (except for the eye spot) - the black band through the tail, etc - all washed out. His gills are inflamed, and has no appetite. He was being picked on/harassed by the other tetras in the tank. On Monday, I moved him to qt, raised the temp to 82, added salt and praziquantel.

Today, he's significantly thinner and is now occasionally at the surface gasping.

I've offered some medicated food, but no dice (didn't even respond to a couple mosquito larvae).

He arrived July 29, from Wetspot (Portland, OR), along with seven others, seven black phantom tetras and eight white clouds. They're all in a 29, heavily planted, along with eleven neons and a few small cories and otos.

Tank also hosts a collection of snails and about six ghost shrimp that largely stay ghosts.

Running a Fluval 306 which gets a clean out once a month/six weeks (done last third week of July, just before the new guys arrived).

Dosing Seachem ferts and supplements and running DIY CO2.

NONE of the other fish have shown any symptoms.

Tank param:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 15-20

Haven't tested GH, KH in a while, but our water is so hard it qualifies as an abrasive, pH 8.2 ish, in the mornings when the lights come on (by HM pH 80 meter).

35% pwc every other week, although I did a 50% change today.

Initially thought of gill flukes (nothing that looks like ich) - but I'd expect it in some of the other fish.

Would love opinions/suggestions, as I'd like not to have my tank go down, one fish at a time.

TIA

img_3269782_0_39877e08befdf1bca1e9dd6955ea98cd.jpg

HI could you describe in detail the symptoms?
My best advice is get it out of there and put it down with ice water or clove oil.
They are a hardy fish being still wild like and not inbreed. Im sure the rest will be fine.

Symptoms are:
Not eating
Red gills (not swollen - just significantly 'redder' as compared to the others;
Loss of color.

I will be putting it down today.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah, they are tough fish. But IMO it really isn't worth spending a bunch on meds for a cheapish fish. However, if it spreads to others in the main tank i would consider buying med for whatever it is ill with.

Its still sad all the same ??

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

After a pretty discouraging couple days over weekend, yesterday our Red eye seemed to be regaining color, wasn't as listless or hanging near the surface for air. This morning, he's definitely looking better with marked improvement in gill color and regaining his body color. Finally started eating again! Cannot be certain what affected him, or what has helped him out, but I'm going to keep him in hospital through the week. SO glad I waited another day!

I didn't wake up dead, everything else is gravy!

Back
Top Bottom