Red eyes and pale scales?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishieKeeper429

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My Betta fish is swimming like normal but his scales seem kind of pale and the whites around his pupils are red. He looks a but sick so I put in some BettaFix to help. Today is also his fasting day where he doesn't eat all day. Would this effect him? A picture is attached. Help!

image-1527671095.jpg

Attachments

• image-490454745.jpg
    image-490454745.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 68
Hmmm, not sure, those two are symptoms that Utah sick alright, it's like we vomit, could be the flu, stomach flu, or something more serious

Bettafix and any kind of medication with "fix" at the end isn't a good medication to use with Bettas. The tea tree oil in it affects the labyrinth (organ used to breath air from surface) negatively.

Do a large water change and add some aquarium salt at 1tsp/gallon there aren't any scaleless fish like Cories living with him, 1tbs/5g if there are. Along with some stress coat and/or something like "general cure" to his tank and that should help.

Red usually is a sign of ammonia burn, are you sure that the ammonia reading was correct? Are his gills inflamed/red?

Bettafix and any kind of medication with "fix" at the end isn't a good medication to use with Bettas. The tea tree oil in it affects the labyrinth (organ used to breath air from surface) negatively.

Do a large water change and add some aquarium salt at 1tsp/gallon there aren't any scaleless fish like Cories living with him, 1tbs/5g if there are. Along with some stress coat and/or something like "general cure" to his tank and that should help.

Red usually is a sign of ammonia burn, are you sure that the ammonia reading was correct? Are his gills inflamed/red?

ok thank you! And is it bad that I've been using BettaFix on him a lot?

Yeah, it can be bad. If you are using the full dose that could be what's causing the issues. How often is a lot? Like weekly? More than weekly? Every couple weeks?

If it is the cause, there is probably nothing you can do for him. Do a 100% water change if possible to get all the bettafix out and then treat the way I told you in my last post. that might clear it up if it didn't screw his labyrinth up yet

I did a 75% water change and put the needed amount of Stresd Coat by API in and his color is gradually coming back. His eyes are going back to normal color. Thank you soooo much everybody who helped! You saved my fishies life!

Back
Top Bottom