Red gills on tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

valeriajime

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I noticed some red gills today on my tetras. I have 5. Two of which have one full red spot on one side. The other ones I can barely see any red so I don’t know if it’s just the underlying skin under their gills.
10 gallon with 2 sponge filters had it for over a few months.
Parameters: ph is usually at 7.5-7.6 today it was at 7.0 ; ammonia between 0-.25 (it has never changed); nitrite 0; nitrate 5-10.
I have: 5 tetras, 1 beta I bought at petco about a week ago; a mystery snail; 5 ghost shrimp; and two plecos.
I did lower the temperature from 81 to 79 because I was dealing with ick but I’m most positive it’s gone (been two weeks and no sign of it)
I’m doing a 25% water change because my tap is at 7.6.
I hope it’s not columnaris and that the ph might be affecting them considering that the ph is the most recent drastic change in the tank.
IMG_5916.jpg

I imagine the ph drop would be the main cause. Your ammonia should also not go above 0 ppm

What species of pleco do you have? Plecos tend to have too big of a bioload for smaller tanks and they can also get huge depending on the species.

I imagine the ph drop would be the main cause. Your ammonia should also not go above 0 ppm

What species of pleco do you have? Plecos tend to have too big of a bioload for smaller tanks and they can also get huge depending on the species.

I have two clown plecos. I did add Indian almond leaf water I made at home the previous water change before the one yesterday. I’m imagining that’s what brought it way down. I’ve also read that the master kit in many cases doesn’t develop that bright yellow for 0ppm in ammonia. Let me know if I stand in-corrected thank you.

Back
Top Bottom