Red Pods?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JPloman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
There are these weird red/pink bug looking things that come out at night. They are about a 1/4 of an inch in size. They spin like worms and are attracted to the lights next to the tank. I have a crappy photo but maybe someone can id them and tell me if they are good or bad.

TIA

Attachments

• picture_083_172.jpg
    picture_083_172.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 95
  • picture_081.jpg
    picture_081.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 124
I have no idea. I know there is a small red bug that can come on acro corals but, they don't get that big. They are not flat are they?

Could be yellow flatworms. There is another post just recently with a decent pic of them.

No, I dont think that is what they are...

They were swarming against the glass. It reminded me of ants honestly, you know when you kick an ant den and they swarm out... that is what these things look like they are doing. They are all over the glass in that corner. I have never seen them else where in the tank. :?

Yeah, I could believe it. That would seem to be the easiest answer since I suggested as much myself. lol
But, you've seen pics of flatworms and you said that wasn't it. I've already named the only red bugs I could think of. Sorry. I'm out of ideas. :?

I am just confused. They dont look like the flat worms you showed me... but maybe they are some type. I dont know.

Are flat worms bad? If so, how do I get rid of them?

The red/yellow flatworms can be a nuisance because they reproduce so fast. They will get on your corals and irritate and stress them out. If they are flatworms, there is a product called flatworm exit made my salifert that would work. Or I believe Hara is having luck with a wrasse controlling the worms. Not sure what type so I'll try to find her post for you. Here is a link to one of the site sponsors who carries the flatworm exit.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...t_Code=SAT-FLAT&Product_Count=&Category_Code=

The nudibranch is an option I suppose if you can find one. They only eat flatworms though and once the worms are gone, the nudi will starve. I never recommend nudibranches because my experience with them hasn't been great. They squeeze into the darnedest of places and kill themselves. I was able to keep them from getting sucked into the ph intake but my last ones decided they wanted to see what the inside of the ph looked like anyway and squeezed into the flow adjustment wheel. I gave up after that. I dont' think there is a way to totally nudi proof a tank. But, that's just my experience.

Oh, I also wanted to add that, if they aren't worms then a wrasse may eat them anyway. Alot of fish will eat pods and such. I had a royal gramma that would pluck copepods off the glass. Is your mandarin showing any interest in them?

I dont know. She is criptic. I hardly ever see her. Its like she is always on the hunt and she like to hide in all the rock holes. I am really disappointed about that too. :/ She is too pretty to be hiding all the time.

What type of wrasse would you recommend for my tank? I dont wanna get something that is gonna take away from Amanda's (the Mandarin) pods. She has really become my pride and joy since she survived the first couple of weeks now!

The thing about the Nuidibranch sucks. I think they are really cool looking and wouldnt mind having one, but not if its going to die.

I don't want to put you off on trying the nudi. Just wanted to give you my experience. Your's may be quite different. I would suggest the sixline since they are reef safe and will take to being fed other food. I really wish we had a positive ID on the critters in question though. If they aren't redbugs or flatworms, I would let them go. It's just possible you are having a bloom of something totally safe and it may die out on it's own. Do you ever see them on your polyps/corals? If not, maybe time is your best medicine right now.

Honestly Fluff, the first time I saw them was the other night. I saw them again last night, but it was on the glass. The part of the glass they were on was where light from the sump shines in a little. I have never seen them anywhere else. I stayed up last night with a flash light to see if they went anywhere else, but I never saw them go toward my corals.

That is what confuses me. I don't know that much about flatworms. But from what I've seen, I don't think they are shy or nocturnal. They would be out everywhere in the light. Really sounds like a pod type behavior and I would let it ride for now and just see what happens. Especially since they haven't been a threat to your livestock. I realize your anxious as I would be to but sometimes it's not as bad as it seems. I'm gonna send this post to one of the more experienced reef keepers. See what they think.

Any chance you could post a clearer pic of them the next time they come out? Your original pic is very unclear which makes for a bit of a guessing game. It would go along way to figuring out what these are. You only need to get a good close up of one of them.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom