Red Scat Fish Advise Needed!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jilani

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I have recently purchased a red spotted scat fish to add to my aquarium. It's the first time I have purchased this species and honestly it was a bit impulsive (kid in a candy store).

After doing some research I realized that Scats gradually migrate to brackish/salty water as they mature. Mine is about 10cm long.

I have some different species of catfish and cichlids as well in the same tank and I wasn't considering switching to a brackish setup.

If someone has any experience with keeping scats in a freshwater aquarium please do offer some advise.

Regards,
Jilani

The Scat will not live long in freshwater so there is no way of keeping it healthy long term. I suggest either taking it back or setting up a brackish aquarium for the Red Scat. That is the negative about impulsive buying especially without research prior. There is a African specie of Scat that can live it's life time in freshwater.

The Scat will not live long in freshwater so there is no way of keeping it healthy long term. I suggest either taking it back or setting up a brackish aquarium for the Red Scat. That is the negative about impulsive buying especially without research prior. There is a African specie of Scat that can live it's life time in freshwater.

The Scat, Mono, Green Spotted Puffer, Figure Eight Puffer, a few Moray Eels species have been missed labeled as freshwater species for years since the 80's and this is sad imo.:(

Back
Top Bottom