Red slime algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

natman2

Aquarium Advice Activist
I noticed some red slime algae beginning in my young tank (about two months) a few patches here and there on the substrate. I did a unscheduled water change and what was there siphoned out with about a five gallon change. My usual water change routine is between 5 and 10 gallons a week. 75 gallon tank.

Parameters are in line 0 am 0 ites ph8.2 sg 1.025 and a barely detectable trace of nitrates.

Lights are PC
Lighting schedule is 12 hours. 8am to 10am 130 watts of actinic then at 10am 130 watts of 10,000k daylights go on in addition. 6pm the daylights go off 8pm the actinics go off and led night lights go on until morning.

Feeding routine is twice daily and all food is consumed in less than a minute. Frankly I am concerned that my CB shrimp ever finds enough food. Protein skimmer is in use and working.

Question is should I worry about the red slime algae. I had the obligatory diatom outbreak but it seems to be subsiding now. Will the red slime algae follow a similar course and common for a young tank or do I have something to worry about. I don't have a tester for phosphate but ro/di water is used without exception.

Cyano is very common in new systems. I would keep doing what your doing with syphoning it out when you see it and regular water changes. Though, you might want to do a bit more than 5-10g until the cyano is under control. Maybe as much as 25% a week.

Ok fluff will do. Change my water change routine to 10g wens and Sundays for now. I also noticed most of it had appeared along the back of the tank where glass and substrate meets. I move up the rock work a bit toward the front of the tank in hopes of increasing flow a bit in that area. If it reappears in the same spot I think I will add a power head blowing across the back and bottom of the tank. Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom