Red Spots on my Goldfish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raymarie92

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 5 goldfish in a 55 gallon tank and last month one of them had a red spot. I freaked out and tested the water at home then took a sample to petsmart to get tested and nitrite was high. The employee recommended a 20% water change which I did two weekends in a row. Yesterday I realized that now the other 4 have the same red spots.

They are around the fins and on the side of their body and some of the spots have a white spot in the middle? I was wondering if anyone had any idea what this could be and if so, what should I do?
Also, the pictures are of Trigger who has been a little bit on the lethargic side making it easier to take pictures of him

Attachments

• IMG_2364.jpg
    IMG_2364.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2360.jpg
    IMG_2360.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 76
I have 5 goldfish in a 55 gallon tank and last month one of them had a red spot. I freaked out and tested the water at home then took a sample to petsmart to get tested and nitrite was high. The employee recommended a 20% water change which I did two weekends in a row. Yesterday I realized that now the other 4 have the same red spots.

They are around the fins and on the side of their body and some of the spots have a white spot in the middle? I was wondering if anyone had any idea what this could be and if so, what should I do?
Also, the pictures are of Trigger who has been a little bit on the lethargic side making it easier to take pictures of him

What temp do u keep your tank at?

Around 75

I read that to have healthy goldfish you should keep your goldfish tank between 65-68 and it shouldn't be above 73. Because goldfish are found in cool streams and etc. they LOVE cool water and I have had goldfish in a pond for two or three years now and not one of them has died and in the summer I throw a cold water hose in there every week and they just purposely go under it and bathe. So yeah try reducing the temp see if the spots go away

I read that to have healthy goldfish you should keep your goldfish tank between 65-68 and it shouldn't be above 73. Because goldfish are found in cool streams and etc. they LOVE cool water and I have had goldfish in a pond for two or three years now and not one of them has died and in the summer I throw a cold water hose in there every week and they just purposely go under it and bathe. So yeah try reducing the temp see if the spots go away

Okay I'll be trying that! Thanks :)

Can you please post your water parameters right now and your present water change schedule (%/#wk)? Type of filtration? How long this tank has been running with fish in it? You mentioned high nitrites- exactly how high were they? Water quality issues need to be addressed before considering anything else here.

Back
Top Bottom