Red tail sharks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nathandohnt

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I don't know if you guys know of this tv show called tanked. They pretty much make amazing tanks for people. Anyway this kid came in an asked or a tank. So they guys put together an old tv fish tank. They put Bala sharks rainbow sharks and red tail sharks in this tank with guppies. Is this ok to do because I always thought the sharks would get aggressive with the guppies. I wanted to put a red tail shark in with my guppies an mollies but I thought I'd better ask to be sure it's ok ?

So I don't know if you guys know of this tv show called tanked. They pretty much make amazing tanks for people. Anyway this kid came in an asked or a tank. So they guys put together an old tv fish tank. They put Bala sharks rainbow sharks and red tail sharks in this tank with guppies. Is this ok to do because I always thought the sharks would get aggressive with the guppies. I wanted to put a red tail shark in with my guppies an mollies but I thought I'd better ask to be sure it's ok ?

No it's not ok. It was terrible stocking choices for a small tank.

A single RTS might be ok in a large tank. He'll guard his territory, but some are ok except for that. Others are nasty.

Would it be ok to put one red tail shark in my tank I have a 70 liter I think it's about 18 or 19 us gallons ?

I would say a 55 gallon or 40 breeder would be a minimum for a Red Tail Shark.

That show usually is okay with there stocking choices..and sometimes they're not.

I have 2 red tails... when I bought them I was very naive and took every word that the idiot girl from the fish den said... (unfortunately for me she didn't know anything about these little sharks) she let me buy the 2 together knowing that I wanted to put them in a 30 gallon tank TOGETHER.... horrible idea... after they acclimated and were loose in the tank the bigger one immediately started head butting and chasing the smaller one... it only took all of 6 hours for us to get the bigger one out and try to acclimate him into our 55 gallon that only has 5 tiger barbs in it... they are both very happy now! The girl didn't tell me they are very territorial. . Although cute they didn't get along at all... it's best to only keep 1 in a tank because they are aggressive

Wow don't you just hate that. If they work at a pet place like that they should know everything like that. It's like a few weeks ago I bought some live plants from pet barn and she sold me purple waffle plants and some other one with green leaves with white stripes on them. She's like yeah these are good plants, don't need much light or co2. So I'm all like cool ill take them. I come home google them and apparently their not even true aquatic plants. They literally melted in 2 weeks. Total bullshit. They need to have more qualified people working at pet shops

Absolutely its sooo frustrating getting a new fish or plant home and its not at all what you were told, the thing that sucks the most about that is some fish may end up dieing because the people who bought them didn't know they weren't compatible and the pet store surely doesn't just supply that information, mainly because they are so **** clueless and don't know what they are even talking about... Luckily for me the small RTS that we left in the community tank knows what its like to be bullied and now he is so submissive and passive, its actually quite funny really we have a chinese algae eater that we put in with the RTS a week or so ago and they actually swim around together and suck on the cucumber veggie clip together, its almost as if the red tail thinks he is a CAE, lol well at least they all get along, I haven't put anything else in the 55 with the barbs and other RTS, mostly because the red tail in the 55 is very very very territorial and I don't just mean he is territorial over one spot in the tank, it's more like he thinks the whole lower half of the tank is his, which is fine because I put him in there knowing whatever else went in was more than likely going to get chased and bugged a bit cause the RTS is the king of the 55, the barbs are hilarious though its almost as if they like to tease the shark, the red tail will chase one or two of the barbs and then as soon as he stops chasing them they will follow behind him very close and if he looks back at them they stop like they weren't up to anything! The tiger barbs are probably one of my favorites since getting them, they have the biggest personalities out of all our fish, they chase us when we walk by the tank and they absolutly love love love to play ball ( we just put a small rinsed off ping pong ball in the tank) they just go nuts for it pushing it around the tank with their little noses, way too cute!:fish1:

Back
Top Bottom