red tailed shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butterfly_koi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm trying to compile a stocking list for whenever I get my tank up and running. I came across a post on AA about a rts and I love the look of this fish, I was reading that they can be aggressive so I was wondering what some compatible tank mates could be

They can be highly aggressive. What size tank are you thinking about?The larger the better for taming aggression. I'd suggest putting him in a large tank with perhaps some cichlids. Or instead you can go with other types of aggressive fish, tiger barbs, or faster fish, danios. No small fish, no fish with flowy fins.

Zagz said:
They can be highly aggressive. What size tank are you thinking about?The larger the better for taming aggression. I'd suggest putting him in a large tank with perhaps some cichlids. Or instead you can go with other types of aggressive fish, tiger barbs, or faster fish, danios. No small fish, no fish with flowy fins.

Its a 75 still in the works, im still working on resealing the tank but was putting a stock list together.

Mumma.of.two said:
If you have at tank in the 100's of gallons you can get away with two but they are best kept alone.

Ok that makes sense, I was thinking about when you recommended the cichlids and it seems like a good idea but my husband thinks that they are ugly (matter of opinion I think) what are some good breeds that I could show him that would change his mind?

Mumma.of.two said:
Really?! Show him some pics of male peacocks. They are FAR from ugly. Lol

Those are really pretty! I've never owned cichlids before but after your suggestion I got to really looking at them, there are so many different varieties of this fish I think that he thinks that they are ugly because hes just looking at the ones at Walmart and all they have is the parrots

I keep several aulonocara (peacocks) and they are gorgeous. If you keep several types of males and females you will end up with cross breeding, so either go with all males or be prepared for offbreeds.

If you keep more than one rts, one will become the more dominant and chase the other.

Zagz said:
I keep several aulonocara (peacocks) and they are gorgeous. If you keep several types of males and females you will end up with cross breeding, so either go with all males or be prepared for offbreeds.

If you keep more than one rts, one will become the more dominant and chase the other.

I think that I'd I do get some that I'll just get one as advised. My husband was wanting to stay with the guppies but I'm wanting bigger fish and cichlids seem like a good way to go

Back
Top Bottom