Red Terror petty concern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kribensis

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have some Festae fry that were hatched around November. I have them living in a 125g aquarium with only one Rena XP4 canister filter. Since my last water change I have noticed that they have been a little more skittish and hiding more.

Is there not enough oxygen in the tank because of how large it is and how small they are? Tonight I added a bubble disk just for added surface movement.

They are being housed with a bunch of Kribensis cichlids. And yes... I know what the future will intell for the Kribensis if I dont remove them as the Festae grow. But for right now I just want to make sure they are doing well. Even the Kribensis seem a little more skittish when before they used to all rush over for food.

I have only 4 festae Red Terror cichlids and like 18 Kribensis. All of them are still at about 1".

I have a media sock over the canister filters intake, I have fed them baby brine shrimp, then crushed flake food. And now they are eating full sized Brine Shrimp, BeefHeart, blood worms, and the 2 types of flake food has been Omega cichlid flake (crushed up) and some Tetracichlid stuff my wifes Angle fish were eating. Im going to test the water just as soon as I post this message.

Thanks for any input. Im hoping im just paying too close attention to them.

After taking this picture I added a large lava rock to the center of the tank and the round air bubble disk. As you can see. I dont have buck in the tank. The guy I got the festae fry from said to keep everything out of it to make it easyer to keep my eye on the festae fry

ForumRunner_20130214_020653.jpg

I'm not sure he would tell you something like that but I'd disagree with that therory, juvenile fish certainly need cover to feel secure. Heck even adult fish will claim caves, rock formations, and stumps to retreat to when they feel threatened. I'd start adding some rock formations, driftwood, and some more plants of your choosing.

Last edited:
Yea I'd add some stuff for them to hide in. The only tank I would suggest keeping empty would be a quarantine tank. But even in mine I toss in a few rocks for the fish to be able to hide if it feels threatened.

Certainly put some cover in there.I have 11 small Featae biggest is about 2 1/2".at least you'll be giving them the choice of somewhere to hide if the so wish.
Here is a picture of my tank

image-2005159652.jpg

And one of my Festae

image-3534001437.jpg

Really?!?! I had no idea. I thought it had to do with monitoring the fry and/or because of feeding them in such a large tank for fry. Wow thanks guys. Decorations are going in today. I wish I had access to driftwood. All I got are rocks. But ill take care of them today. Thanks ya'll

Really?!?! I had no idea. I thought it had to do with monitoring the fry and/or because of feeding them in such a large tank for fry. Wow thanks guys. Decorations are going in today. I wish I had access to driftwood. All I got are rocks. But ill take care of them today. Thanks ya'll

This is true to a certain extent, you don't want to have so much you lose track of them. But you want to have enough for them to feel comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom