Red tiger lotus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sturgcl1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi peeps, quick question, I have a lovely red tiger lotus, it's a bulb in pot, planted in pond soil & sand/gravel mix. Since planting it, it has been sending out long runner leaves up to the surface. They seem to grow from nothing to surface in 2 days and I get around 2 new leaves a week. Is this normal behaviour? I left them for a while but they were blocking the light so am now trimming them but would prefer it to bush out with underwater leaves, these long ones just look messy. Any thing I can do?

it could be too low of lighting meaning the leaves have to get as close as possible to the light. these are high light plants also if you have high lights do you have Co2 that could also be a problem?

Your Tiger Lotus

Good morning Sturg...

Good for you on your success with this generally challenging plant. Don't have this one, I'm strictly a low to moderate light tank person. But, if I want a generally thin plant to get bushier, I clip the tall, larger leaves and just keep pruning it. From reading your post, you're already doing that.

You probably already know this, but a Tiger Lotus isn't a foreground plant. It's supposed to be a little taller, actually a shade plant and wants to grow to the top of the tank.

One other thing. The little research I've done says eventually, you'll need to start trimming the roots unless you want it to spread.

B

allaboutfish is right on the money with the lighting.

I have two of these beautiful plants, one in an 80g and one in a 20L. The 20L stays low and bushy because the lighting is just right for the tank. The one in the 80 sends up leaves to the top because the lighting is inadequate. I have a 4 bulb strip but only 2 bulbs on. So the leaves are looking for the light.

Personally, I don't mind having a few leaves at the surface. It lets my surface dwellers have a place to "hide"

I would suggest figuring out what your lighting is and if it's possible to increase the output to get the bushy look you want.

Thanks guys, I really hoped it wasnt the case, perhaps I can upgrade the lighting at a later date but for the time being I have spent do much money on getting this tank running, lol. I have 110w with reflectors in a 360l tank with no co2, on for 12h. Was told when I purchased that it was a low light, no co2 plant! Will keep trimming for time being, thanks guys, its such a beautiful plant, that & my water wysteria are by far my favourites.

allaboutfish is right on the money with the lighting.

I have two of these beautiful plants, one in an 80g and one in a 20L. The 20L stays low and bushy because the lighting is just right for the tank. The one in the 80 sends up leaves to the top because the lighting is inadequate. I have a 4 bulb strip but only 2 bulbs on. So the leaves are looking for the light.

Personally, I don't mind having a few leaves at the surface. It lets my surface dwellers have a place to "hide"

I would suggest figuring out what your lighting is and if it's possible to increase the output to get the bushy look you want.

Hello Dragon,

Didn't know I was a neighbor to one of the forum moderators. Anyway, wanted to pick your brain for a good LFS. Am a little tired of frequenting the local PetCo and PetsMart for plants.

Was over in Ft. Collins to D & G Pets today. They have a nice assortment of plants, which is really my thing now, but they're a little pricey. Any advice?? If not, I may just "bite the bullet" and go back to Fort C.

B in Greeley

Back
Top Bottom