red zebra danio?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

indrani987

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay, I'm having all kinds of problems recently. The latest is this: my male zebra danio, who of course is usually slightly golden, is now turning....red???

10 gallon
2 danios
1 snail
1 frog

i've just run out of test strips, so I'm not sure of the water parameters.

Of course the first thing to check is water parameters, but since you can't, do a water change ASAP.

Now when you say turning red, what exactly what do you mean? Is the entire body changing color? Does the fish appear to have veins showing up on the body and fins? Are there any behavior changes (heavy breathing, not eating, laying down, etc). And can you get a pic to show us?

Just did a large water change. His behavior is still the same - super active. It's not veins, it's more like his stripes are fainter and the gold stripes have a pinkish hue. The only difference I can think of is that after the third danio died, it's now just him getting chased around all day by the big female. Even his tail is pinkish - it's a little droopy. Of course, I might be a bit of a hypochondriac with my fish!

I'm guessing the smart thing would be to isolate him also....So strange, cuz despite problems i had when starting my new tank, I haven't lost any fish till now, about 6 months into it. They all always seemed super healthy.

thanks for the advice on the betta too - he's just finshing up his epsom salt soak, I hope that will help, then I'll treat him with antibiotic.

"...it's now just him getting chased around all day by the big female."

I really don't know about breeding danios, but could the color change be related to spawning?

Be weary of internal infections. Red stripes on tailrs or body can be a sing of a well advanced internal infection. If you think its this get some maracy-two right away or you WILL lose him too.

Just out of curiosity...how long have you had this particular male danio?? Is there any chance that you might have gotten ahold of one of those Glow-Fish Danios? They certainly develop a pinkish red cast as they mature.

Fruitbat, PK and QT

I got the danio about 4 or 5 months ago. He doesn't glow....but the phrase "pinkish cast" is what he seems to have. He may have had this all along, I odn't know - they are so fast, you can't really observe them that well, I took him out recently and had him in a jar, that's when I noticed he was kind of pink. Right now, he is very happy because I've added some more females. Seems to be acting totally normal, but I do have the antibiotics on hand in case any of them start acting sick.

Also, i did read that male danios have subtle thin red stripes (?) so maybe I'm just kind of noticing that. Maybe it gets more noticeable along with the golden colors when they interested in breeding...

Thank you all for the tips:)

Back
Top Bottom