Redoing tank quesion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If fin rot is a fungal infection yes
Ok, i just thought you were using it as a preventative measure..
As long as you keep the media, ie..the filter, wet during the change over, you won't have a problem with your bacteria. Shrimp only have a tiny bio-load, so you should have more than enough bacteria to cover them..You should consider using Purigen in your filter. It'll help keep your water crystal clear...Good luck with your shrimp set-up, i'm going to add some to my 10g guppy tank this weekend....Ian

Thanks will shrimp produce enough ammonia to sustain my bio filter?

Thanks will shrimp produce enough ammonia to sustain my bio filter?
Yes. Your filter will only ever have enough bacteria that there is food for..That is why when adding fish, you do it slowly, so as to give the bacteria a chance to multiply and cover the extra bio-load...

Is 160 flow rate too high? Should I use a sponge filter? My filter is very old that is why I wanted to get a new filter. Any suggestions?

Here's a pic of my 10g shrimp/fish planted tank...30-40 cherry&crystal red shrimp,2 white cloud mountain minnows,5 cardinal tetra,3 rummynose tetra,1 sterbai&nerite snails...

ForumRunner_20130130_174356.jpg

Is 160 flow rate too high? Should I use a sponge filter? My filter is very old that is why I wanted to get a new filter. Any suggestions?
I can't really give you any names, you have filters over there that we don't have over here. I personally have a Fluval U2 internal filter with a flow rate of 105gph. It give a fairly mild current and has three different outlets. Top, bottom and a spraybar in the middle. You can choose whichever one suits..If you find your filter is too strong, you can always break up the flow with plants....

You would think so but I have had no issues as this tank has been setup for well over a year now..I run 2 filters-ac10&an aquean filter which came with the tank when first purchased...

Back
Top Bottom