Reef Grade led lights on a African Cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

F1guy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone think a reef grade light will look good on a Malawi tank? My tank is 4 feet long and 20 inches tall. I wonder if it will be too bright? I am currently using a Aquatic Life 48 inch duel T5 light, 54 watts x2, with a 10.000k and 420-460 actinic bulbs, I was going to buy a 36 inch Marineland Reef Grade led light.
Any comments would be great.
Cheers-Dennis.

Fish don't really care from what I know. They will look super cool in that lighting, but I don't think that it will damage it in any way. It will cause algae though. You should put it on a timer so its on only during viewing times

Welcome to AA :)

I'd stick with what you've got. More light means the potential for algae problems... and fish don't care what kind of light you have.

I also have a UV sterilizer running on my tank so algae is not really a problem. I do get some but not bad

Anyone else using reef LEDs on a Malawi tank?

needmorecowbell said:
With a sterilizer it takes the algae out of the water column, not the surfaces. It is for cloudiness.

You are right, but a uv sterilizer is dependent on the water flow through it to determine what it will do best. If your water flow through the uv sterilizer is low (about 50-80 gph) your sterilizer will kill pathogens best, if your water flow through the uv sterilizer is medium (about 120gph) your sterilizer is going to keep algae out of your water column best. If your water flow through the uv sterilizer is high (about 200 gph) your sterilizer will kill bacteria best.
The gph figures above are from my uv sterilizer. It is a CoralLife Turbo Twist 3X.

I have the same rig as your current one at the moment. Im pleased with it but I too would like to see and led on it instead

joel618 said:
I have the same rig as your current one at the moment. Im pleased with it but I too would like to see and led on it instead

Hi. Mine keeps my water crystal clear. I run mine off my ehiem 2113 canister. It puts out 116 gph. Easy to hook up. 

Back
Top Bottom