reef safe way to make pvc black?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arowanaman420

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am in the process of making a closed loop style spraybar for my 75g. Is there a reef safe way to color the pvc black? I heard somewhere about using a sharpie. Is it safe? I was also thinking about wrapping it with electrical tape. Any thoughts on this? Would it hold under water? Any other ideas? Thanks.

The electrical tape would not hold underwater. Dont they make black PVC? I thought they did.

I got some black PVC pipe at the Home Depot. I was going to use it as a cave for my pleco. He never went in it, but anyway, yes, black PVC pipe is available.

HD has smaller diamiters of black PVC... there are online retailers that carry it.. Ive even seen black flexable PVC in one place.. (not quite sure where now but it was one of the regular ones)..
I might post some links later...

Thanks for the info. I can't seem to find any black pvc in my area. I found some info saying that sharpie and marks-a-lot are safe, so I decided to try that. I found that marks-a-lot works much better than sharpie. The wide tip covers more quickly, it adheres better to the smooth plastic of pvc elbows and T's, and dries to a flat black as opposed to the shiny purple hue of a sharpie. Time consuming, but better than white pvc showing.

Back
Top Bottom