ReefBoy's 360 Gallon REEF Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good news!!! I just called and asked to change the order. Here's how it went!!

Zack- He John I have to move the build to the basement because just in the structural support it will cost more than the tank itself if I put it in my office.

John- Ok no problem, we haven't started building it yet so what size are you looking at?

Zack- I'm looking at hitting at least the 500 gallon mark. I would like the 120x48x24 but you guys don't do curbside delivery with 10 footers correct?

John- Correct

Zack- Then we will go with the 96x48x24.

John. Pause...... Pause.....

Zack- Pause

John- So if lets say if I could get that 120x48x24 to your home.... another pause.... Would you be interested?

Zack- Absolutely. Thats the size that I would like for the wall in my basement because it will be 1 foot shorter than the wall instead of 3.

John- Ok let me get back with you tomorrow and we will see hat we can do. we will also go through and change all of the equipment, overflows, etc. tomorrow too.

Zack- Thanks John

So it sounds pretty promising that I will get the 10 footer this is my dream size tank and I would love to rocks cape and have some of the larger fish that I enjoy seeing in some of the monster builds on youtube!! My budget can afford at maximum a 12 footer. It wouldn't fit on the wall though... :(

Still. Sounds like a good one. Here's hoping the deal matches.

Keep our fingers crossed.:dance:
The main reason for this big build is I want to fill it up with corals, and keep it to grow my corals. Later, if I need it, I will setup a frag tank. So this is a business I'm hoping to get started in the future. Maybe by the time I get out of college it will be running well enough. But for now it is for the love of the hobby!! :D. I love The ocean... Period...:brows:

I do have a question for all... Again... Will my skimmer be fine? It says it's rated for up to 740 fallons.. The tank will be 500-560 gallon I believe. But would it be better to get another one and run both together.. Would that work?

As far as lighting goes.. I could do 5-6 Hydra 52's.... Or I could sell all my Hydra's and go with the new Kessil lights.. They look pretty cool. And they don't make the tank look.... Clunky.... For a lack of a better word

Ok cool! Ill get started on that! Just a Brute tub with Vinegar in it will do? Filled to the right height of course.

If this is a business, you are going about it wrong. If you want to make money selling coral, have them make you two 8' x 3' x 16" tall tanks and position them so the top of them barely meets your chest. Plumb them both to a common rubbermaid stock tank sump(s). Light the tanks with cheapo chinese panels from ebay/amazon.
nice, cheap, and effective. Nothing beats a top down view when coral shopping.

It won't be anything huge. Just online sales and an online store in the future :). But I did think about that tank size and doing that setup! Totally agree! That's the way to go:)

I guess what I want is to be able to use this tank in my house later on. Or be happy with this size tank later on. But it's too hard to predict the future. Too many variables. Plus I'm way to young to know anything about life :D haha

I'm actually 19 years old and a college student. I was accepted into 6 of the top colleges in South Korea for being an athlete. I toured with the number one taekwondo Demo Team in the world. (Ktigers)

But I stayed here in the U.S. Because of my love for Saltwater tanks(and I kinda wanted to stay near home and save some money:D). So it's been a wicked ride, I've seen a bit of the world, I'm a business major that is multilingual, and I get stressed easily. Haha so the saltwater tank really does a lot for me. With a weak heart, and a family with a history of weak hearts. This hobby is one of those things that keeps me mostly stress free. It's also Something that keeps me occupied during my downtime. :).

So if I seem immature at times that's why hahaha. Just a kid~~~~~. Just give me a slap and I'll be back on track:D.

Thanks to everyone for helping me along with this build!!!! I would not be able to do any of this without all of the help I'm receiving from the excellent members of this forum!! I'm proud to be a member!! :thanks:

Last edited:
Mr. X, it sounds like you have a bit of experience with fragging for business. Do you have a business going on? Just curious:)

I did. I just can't stomach the removal of so much life from the ocean anymore. I mainly sell some components now....skimmers, vortechs....things like that, and not on a large scale. I sti,ll have my suppliers, but don't call on them much any more.

Cool!!! So would I be able to purchase my Vortech Mp60 QD's from you? I can pay shipping to if its possible.:)

You will still get a percentage right? I would have purchased the skimmer from you, had I known!

:lol: I guess I will get a new equipment list together and make a new rock plan.

Last edited:
I have a few work days!!! What this means is I can get the rest of the equipment out of the way including rocks and sand, once the checks come through. (commission sales) That way I don't wipe out my bank account with what I have left from the last work days(All my money for the next semester of College) :eek:
This also means I need to get all of my studying, assignments and tests for my summer course out of the way tomorrow.... I also have to re-order the tank tomorrow in hopefully the 10 foot long. :)

How deep of a sanded would you guys recommend? I like the 2-3in deep look. but with a 24in. tall tank that may not look so appealing at 10 or even 8 feet long?? Any input? How about sand brands? Live or dead? I have heard that live helps to kickstart the tank. Anything good about dry? I have tons of dry in the basement right now. But I might try to sell those and get live.... hmm..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom