Reflection all 4 sides new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dargent

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got my first ever male betta 2 weeks ago. Kept happily in 1g bowl with rocks plant and cave. He interacted beautifully and we set up little action figures outside to amuse him which he loved to study then he would move on. Built a bubble nest too. Then I started reading....,bought a 3g marineland acrylic rectangle with slight curve along front with filter and got a heater. The current way too strong even on low so I took the filter completely out. Next I noticed he can't see out at all - all four sides reflection and he is banging at side refections . No more rushing to side and wiggling when he sees me. Can't see action figures either. Please I want my curious interactive betta back! The bowl was better for both of us. Instead of being happy to watch what I'm doing he is busy battling reflected bettas. Tank is on kitchen island so all sides visible to all. Bowl was beautiful to view and all were happy. Now cords and reflections and unhappy. Ignorance was bliss for all of us. I want the happy bowl back. Can I achieve it somehow?

You could try increasing the light outside of the tank. When the tank is brighter than the outside reflections happen. Kind of like you looking outside your window at night in a lit room. Just increase outside light and it should reduce the reflection inside the tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You could try increasing the light outside of the tank. When the tank is brighter than the outside reflections happen. Kind of like you looking outside your window at night in a lit room. Just increase outside light and it should reduce the reflection inside the tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you so much for that suggestion. I tried every kind of lighting and didn't make a dent. Even ran out to day and got a cube to see if shape helped. Nope same thing. So he is back in the bowl until I figure this out. What I did learn today is that I had never seen him flare in the 11 days I had him until today and wow. Poor thing is so stressed he was even flaring like crazy when back in the bowl. There is reflection in the bowl too I noticed today but you can get out of it at the bottom where the action figures go. I'm so confused now about it all. Moral of the story : leave well enough alone. Thank you again for your help.

Hi Dargent,
You can try putting some plants along the sides and back of the tank - the fish will feel more comfortable and won't be staring at himself all day long. You could also think about affixing a background on the outside of the tank, the back and potentially the sides.
As much as your little guy might seem to be happy in a bowl, it's really important to keep temperature stable through the use of a heater, unless you have a temp controlled room which stays within the parameters needed for the fish. If the filter is too powerful, try hooking up and air pump to a sponge filter instead.
Good luck!

Hi Dargent,
You can try putting some plants along the sides and back of the tank - the fish will feel more comfortable and won't be staring at himself all day long. You could also think about affixing a background on the outside of the tank, the back and potentially the sides.
As much as your little guy might seem to be happy in a bowl, it's really important to keep temperature stable through the use of a heater, unless you have a temp controlled room which stays within the parameters needed for the fish. If the filter is too powerful, try hooking up and air pump to a sponge filter instead.
Good luck!

Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply. I will upgrade this baby soon and your ideas about blocking the sides are most helpful. , I have read commentary on this forum that confirms some babies are happier in smaller space so as he grows a bit we will move up design in mind. Tank you!

Back
Top Bottom