Refugium light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melosu58

SW REEF 20+ YEARS
My PC light system that is over my refugium went out over the weekend. I was reading in another area of the site that I could just use a clip on lamp with a regular bulb. What watt bulb do I need? Keep in mind that I have grape calerpa in my refuge. Will this same lighting work for grape calerpa? Is this just a standard clip on light? I`m starting to think I really dont need all that high powered PC over the refuge. Any help sure would be appreciated.

I would imagine that having grape calerpa I would need more than 13 watts. I was thinking maybe a 100 watt bulb but was not sure.

then get a 23watt screw in compact from the depot, same light output as a standard 100watt incondescent and you are able to get them in 6500k daylight for optimum growth

I have a $5 clip fixture with a 100watt 6500k light bulb. The squiggly kind. Cant think what its called. But the ones that last 10 years. My grape calerpa grows crazy. I actually went with this setup after reading info that you (mel) stated a while back. You said you would do this next time. So I went on to research and found it is best. So it works great. If you get it from lowes or homedepot you will have to read alot of lights to find the 6500k Not all are labeled or are hard to read.

Thanks Bige. That`s what I`ll do. Thanks for the recommendation. That was a big help.

I already had a clip on light so I went and got one of those 23 watt bulbs that produce the same light as a 100 watt bulb. I guess that`s the bulb you were talking about Gti ??? We will see how it goes. Thanks everyone for the help.

That's the light I use. Works great. Have had to replace once. But thats ok. I guess they dont always last 9 years or what ever they claim.

Back
Top Bottom