Refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fozzy225

Aquarium Advice Activist
Started off with a hand full of macro in my sump, now the top half is full. when should I pull some out?

I'd trim it. I have the aqueon sump just like that. With having macro algae starting to show up above the floss sponge into the return section would be of concern.

Yank it in half and toss one half away. Boom, you just exported nutrients permanently.
I'd shake it real good first to knock loose as many pods as possible, though.

Well done deal took about half out thanks people. I have another question my skimmer return is in my refugium area lots of small bubbles is this good or bad.

I am sure everyone knows this but Just a reminder ; plz don't flush any algae's in drain. Some are considered invasive and are illegal. Instead put it in some container and let it really dry outside before u bury it.

+1 to Heera! Not everyone is aware of this, and if you live in a warm area the concern is even higher.
As for the skimmer question, it really depends. Microbubbles are primarily a cosmetic issue, though I have heard one person state health reasons. More on that in a moment.
When bubbles of any size pop, they send a tiny drop of water flying. Over time, this can coat the lights or lid with salt and decrease the light getting through. They also can lead to salt creep on the edge of the aquarium.
The health issue I have heard but have not verified is that the bubbles can degrade a fish's slime coat over time. Again, I do not know the accuracy of this, but better safe than sorry!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom