Refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They are used to grow pods and good algaes. They also serve as a refuge for hurt fish to keep them from being picked on. You need 2 to 3 inches of sand, maybe a few pieces of lr rubble and macro algaes if you want them. You need a form of light but it doesn't have to be a fancy one just a plant kind of light. They are great and almost necessary if you want to have a mandarin fish(for pod population to grow).

can they serve as only filter?
i have a 4x96 watt orbit pc light. its hugh i was just going to move it back some on the tank. so it would use the same light as the tank. the Refugium i am buying is a hang on back Refugium. i dont like my wet dry. and i would like to get some coral. and i hear that wet drys are not the way to go for a reef tank.
can some one steer me in the right direction if i am wrong

wet drys are fine and can be used on a reef.... A little more info would be helpful like what size tank , how long has it been set up, is it cylced, how much live rock and what type of sand bed if any..... skimmer????

i am sorry.
55 g about 2 inches agernite sand. 30 pounds of LR. its been set up for about 1 year and i use distilled water for water changes. the Refugium i am buying comes with a skimmer. as for fish...
regel tang. and a green cromis, lots of hermits. 2 sand sifting sea stars and 1 tiger strip sand sifting sea star.
as for light
4x96 watt orbit pc light. with moon lights
is that enough light for most coral.
i know clams require more.
thanks
michael

That is an awesome amount of light. It will do almost anything even some types of clams that require lower amounts of lights. If you want to run with no filter, you will need between 1 1/2 and 2 pounds of live rock and a great skimmer plus 2 or 3 power heads . You say the fuge comes with a skimmer so all you need now is another 40 to 60 pounds of live rock and a couple of power heads and you're off!

thanks about the light i wanted only buy my light 1 time and i did not want all that heat from a HQI light.
about protine skimmers if i went with a different one what would be the best for my money?
i seen bac-paks, and prizm's are they good ones?
thanks michael

I've heard bak-paks and remora's are both pretty good according to alot of people on this site. Just don't waste your money on a Seaclone which is what most lfs sell. A few people have actually been able to get them to work, but most don't.

thanks for all your help i think i will buy a bac-pak.
as for sand how deep should some one have there sand.
and what type of sand? fine sand or like a crushed coral would be best?
keep in mind i have a sea star that burrows him self in the sand. would crushed coral prevent him from burrowing in the sand.
thanks
michael

What do you already have in the tank? My last fuge had about 1" of cc on the bottom and 2" of sand on top of that plus lr rubble and chaeto algae. Your sea star is already in your main, right? He won't be in the fuge right? Get some good lr rubble for the fuge cause you will want a good home for the pods, plus it will be part of your total pounds of lr for the tank.

I would make the fuge about 4 inches of oolite my self. I have built a few and have been the most pleased with a sugar fine consistancy. I wouldn't put a sand sifting star in a fuge at all, it defies the purpose of cultivating zooplankton as the star sifts the sand for the micro organisms you are providing "refuge" to. LIke Kat said, go for about 1.5 - 2 lbs of liverock per gallon for the whole system volume, put what you dont' use for aquascaping in the main in your fuge. Next you'll need some macro and a detritivore kit. Aside from those two things put nothing else living in the fuge. If you do those things and have a skimmer, the rest will take care of itself. I also suggest at least 3 - 5 watts/gal in your fuge that run opposite your main tank lights. There are some really affordable PC fixtures that should get you there. Another nice boon for fuges is to collect a cup of sand from anyone else you know that has a reef tank or a fuge and add that to yours.

Cheto is a type of macro algae that is becoming more and more popular for refugiums. As far as pods go you can buy a detritivore kit from many places, but the best of the best is sold by a dude named Bob on ebay. He doesn't have any up for sale ATM, but i'll send him an e-mail and PM you a link as soon as he gets one up. The kit will have everything you need for a fuge, the pods, the macro, etc. Its about $110.00 shipped. After a cycle his kit is the first thing I add to a tank. I don't even feed my tank, I let the fuge do it for me. I give my tang some formula 2 and garlic soak algae and aside from that everything else eats what the fuge provides.

thanks for all the great info. briso thank you for the link to that guy named bob. that would be very helpful. as for a detritivore kit. what is that and where else could i buy one at?
also where can i buy some cheto?
this refugium is a hang on back style. i was going to use the light i have on my main (4X96 watt orbit PC).i was just going to move it back just a hair so it would light the ref. also.
does that sound ok or would you suggest something different.
i just bought my ref. today at drfostersmith.com. it will be here in 7 business days. also i bought marine bio sediment. for the bottom. i hope thats not what brisco was talking about. the detritivore kit (meaning the sand).
i also bought a skimmer too. please tell me if this skimmer is ok
red sea prizm pro. rated for 100 gallons. is that ok?
thanks for all the help guys and girls
michael

Cheto is a type of macro algae that is becoming more and more popular for refugiums. As far as pods go you can buy a detritivore kit from many places, . He . The kit will have everything you need for a fuge, the pods, the macro, etc. After a cycle his kit is the first thing I add to a tank. I don't even feed my tank, I let the fuge do it for me. I give my tang some formula 2 and garlic soak algae and aside from that everything else eats what the fuge provides.

now let me see is i got this right. i can buy some kit to put in to my refuge. that will supply a food for my tank? i am a little confused

Back
Top Bottom