Regal Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cushadow

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Tang Police I know this post is going to drive you crazy. :hide: Sorry in advance.

I received a regal tang. She is barely 1in. My friend moved a crossed the country, so he took his tank down. He couldn't get anyone to take her since it was a long distance. None of my local pet stores will take fish. I currently have her in my 10g quarantine tank. :banghead: he seem to be as happy as should could be in a small tank. She hides at night but swims around during the day. My display tank is only a 30g. I want to expand, but I am renting. I want to upgrade to a 90g, but I don't know when that will be. Besides getting her into a bigger tank. Is there anything I can do to make her comfortable. Should I keep her in the 10g or move to the 30? Since it is bigger. I was the only possible option. I want whats best for this fish. I think that fish are NOT worthless I grieve for every one of my fish loses. I want whats best for her.

Sell it on craigslist. Even a 90 wouldn't be viable for a regal. It is good that you want what is best for it, but tangs and renting just don't go hand in hand. Hopefully the size will give time to rehome, but tangs can grow fast.

Not unless he stipulates so. I have a clown tang in the same situation as I don't want to add him into the general population (mean as heck), but he's getting too big for the 100 gallon 6' long tank he's in. I will sell him or give him away to a good home if I can. Some fish should be left in the sea.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

For the mean time while still looking for a better home, I would make sure the tang is not exposed to any stress. Smaller ones are harder to keep. They easily gets sick and more susceptible to ich. Acclimating them is the most critical part since they are like magnets for ich. A Thera+A pellets and lots of sea weds can help boost their immune system. I had my 2-inch regal tang in my 60 gal long for more than a year before he was moved to my 150 gal. for another year and has now grown to 5 inches. However, a bigger tank can provide a false sense of security. I can say that stress is the most contributing factor for tangs demise.

I currently have a naso tang, about an inch and change in my 60g cube. He is of course going to be moved to the 180g as soon as he is big enough to fend for himself. I would put him the 30g until you find a new home for him... Just sayin the listing that you are looking for a so and so size tank for him to go into. Don;t just let any tom dick or harry come along and take him. lol That would be the best solution all around. Even in a 90g he would outgrow it before you know it.
It's nice to see people actually show thought and consideration with their fish, so many do not. Thats what gets the "tang police" so bent out of shape sometimes. hehe
Do what you can for now though, provide plenty of food and greens, put out an algae clip with some strips on it, keep him as healthy as you can while you have him. :)

I agree with selling (or giving away for free) on CL and asking people what size tank they have. You could even ask for pics. That's how I got my free Blotched Anthias.

Another idea is to see if there is a local reef club.

Well she is in the 30g swimming and eating. Still trying to find home. My family doesn't like the idea of getting rid of her, but they don't understand that she needs a bigger tank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom