Remove Mirror Coating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiteWidow11

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone! My 55g came with a mirror coating (got it used) and originally I thought it would be ok, if not cool. It does make the tank seem bigger, but I don't like seeing my fish always confused and fighting themselves. They always think another fish of same sex/species is in their cave with them.

I tried to start scraping it off with a razor blade but its just not working.

Anyone have any ideas?

Hey everyone! My 55g came with a mirror coating (got it used) and originally I thought it would be ok, if not cool. It does make the tank seem bigger, but I don't like seeing my fish always confused and fighting themselves. They always think another fish of same sex/species is in their cave with them.

I tried to start scraping it off with a razor blade but its just not working.

Anyone have any ideas?

I'm afraid that scraping it off with a razor blade is the only way you are going to remove it. There are blade tools that you can buy at the hardware store that can make doing this easier. Just tell them what you need and they should be able to help you.

Talked to a glass guy, he said its bonded with chemicals and good luck lol. He said the stuff to remove it is nasty and outdoors only.

New question, do they make backgrounds that go in tank? Not 3d just the paper/plastic ones, ii just want a black bg!

Talked to a glass guy, he said its bonded with chemicals and good luck lol. He said the stuff to remove it is nasty and outdoors only.

New question, do they make backgrounds that go in tank? Not 3d just the paper/plastic ones, ii just want a black bg!

And can't be used around an aquarium because of it's toxicity.

There are pre-made backgrounds that you can buy made of various materials, usually plastic. If you look around online or at your LFS you should be able to find one.

You can DIY a background as well. A simple search here or on-line can show you what is possible. Only thing is that most of those usually involve putting them in before you set up a tank and it sounds like yours is already established.

Yes it is, rocks pile 3/4 the way up back, 15 fish etc lol. I was thinking of a plain ol black sheet and I can slide it in behind the rocks. I just don't want anything that will break down in the water or change water chemistry.

Last option, let the algae cover the back wall/mirror. I guess after a while it could start to look black lol.

Thanks!

You might also consider getting a flat piece of uniformly colored plastic to slide in back there. You just have to be careful about any detritus that could accumulate back there. Finding a way to adhere to the back would help, but I don't know how you could do that in an established tank too easily.

That is actually a great idea since it would be easier to shove down than paper. The rock could hold it firm against the backwall I'm sure. Now where could I find such a piece of black plastic aquarium safe?

That is actually a great idea since it would be easier to shove down than paper. The rock could hold it firm against the backwall I'm sure. Now where could I find such a piece of black plastic aquarium safe?

I'd try either the hardware store or a craft store like Hobby Lobby.

Did you ever come up with a solution? I have a tank with mirror back too and I don't like it. It seems to confuse the fish endlessly. I thought about a few ideas, like dark plexiglass or something like that but nervous about chemicals.

Back
Top Bottom