removing old DSB??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dingodan

Aquarium Advice Activist
im thinking about removing my dsb. it is about 5 years old and showing major signs of old tank syndrome. i feed 3x a week with weekly water changes but still have wall to wall algae and suffering corals. i blame this on the reading of .15 ppm phosphate i got from inside the sand bed (syringe) and the fact i cannot maintain proper alkalinity, suggesting my bed has become acidic. this tank will only run for another 5 months and its only function is to keep my corals healthy while i wait for my new tank. the tank is 25g with a garbage bin sump full of live rock (estimate 30g of water). anyone have experience with this?

I have no experience with removing a deep sand bed, however, if you attempt to remove it while your fish and coral are still in there you will probably kill everything. Since your tank is so small, I would go buy a new small tank or just use saltmix buckets and take out all the Live Rock, fish, coral etc and enough water to fill the new tank or buckets. (You may even be able to just put the fish and coral in the sump if there is no sand in there) Then put your fish and coral in there. Then drain the rest of your water and scoop out all of the sand. Clean the tank out and put the Live Rock, Coral, Fish back in until your new tank arrives. If you do this, make sure to have plenty of "matched" fresh saltwater ready to go.

I've have this problem too. During my water changes I've stirred up the sand bed. And siphoned the water from behind the stick I agitate the sand with. Before replacing the water I scoped out a 1/2 a cup or so of the cleaned sand. It's worked for me.

is there anyway removing the sand bed can shock the system. no fish, corals or even live rock with come in contact with the agitated water everything will be in sump before completely emptying tank

Well, you'll most likely have an ammonia spike when you stir up the sand bed. I would empty the tank like everyone said, but instead of scooping the sand, siphon it out.

no fish or coral or rock will ever come in contact with the stirred up water. they will be in the sump while i completely empty the tank

Back
Top Bottom