Removing undergravel filter in stocked tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlid.greenhorn

Aquarium Advice Activist
I need to remove a under gravel filter from my tank, and have some questions. So, should i:
1) pull out decor and do a gravel vac down to 50% water level, then remove ugf?
2) remove decor and remove ugf then do a 50% water change while its stirred up?
Also I will have to add more substrate, for the missing space the ugf took up. Should I add this after or wait a couple days till my fish have calmed down?
Thanks

BE AWARE THAT THE NEW FILTER WILL NOT BE SEEDED SO TESTING THE WATER WILL BE A IMPORTANT!

i would drain water into a large tote or bucket and put the fish in there first (probs not necessary but I over do it)

then i would remove the decor and plants that may be in the way and place them in a seperate bucket to prevent risk of injury to fish via bumping into the decor.

then remove as much of the water as you are comfortable with then remove the UGF system, the remaining water should catch the mulm and gunk that is released by moving the UGF.

(now assuming you have already cleaned the new gravel) drain as much of the remaining gunk filled water as possible and add the new gravel bit by bit (i use a candy store scoop) and mix it well (old gravel has tons of BB on)

once you have the depth you wanted its time to add water to fill 1/4 tank (temp matched to usual tank temp!!!), after doing this add the plants and decor you have in a layout that will give plenty of room to hide and escapes for the fish when they are re added.

fill about 1/2(again temp matched!!!) and make any adjustments required, then netting the fish in the bucket add them slowly to the tank and then fill the remainder of the tank (with temp matched water)

hope that makes sense and helps lol :) good luck!

Thanks for the advice, I have 3 filters running right now. So the ugf shouldn't affect my bb, or I wouldn't think. Time to get to work!

Ok, mission complete! Here is how it went in case any one else is following/wondering.

1) removed all lights and hood.
2) turned off heaters and filters
3) removed all decor (not gravel or substrate
4) did 10 gallons worth of gravel vacuuming
5) slowly removed UGF while sliding substrate to the side. (Still stirred up quite a bit of stuff)
6) added new cleaned and rinsed substrate, to replace the hole left by the UGF.
7) replaced the 10 gallons of water, with clean treated water.
8) turned filters and heaters back on
9) redecorated, and put tops back on

Tank looks great, and feel like a load off my sholders. Thanks for the guidance

Back
Top Bottom